Help - which pattern should I work on (totally confused)

Status
Not open for further replies.

leon

New
I'm an open-faced hacker who flips it straight, so I spent some of the winter working on face control with twistaway and other NSA components. I initially felt some improvement, with really good contact, but now I'm not so sure. I can never get anywhere near wedding ring up post impact and still have a pretty high ball flight.

Finally got some new (pretty poor quality) video - just back yard practice swings for now, but enough to see that I've gotten even more flat and inside than I already was - arms way below really flat shoulders at the top, backing up hips, lots of lean-away. Just like Brian describes at the start of NHA. This leads to a huge lunge to get anywhere near back to the ball - OTT shoulders, hip thrust and a big flip.

Thinking about all of this, I'm wondering how successful I can be trying to fix my face if the path is so off. clearly working on face control hasn't done much to fix my path by itself, but I'm not sure what to work on now.

Given the similarity of my swing to the one Brian shows at the start of NHA, I've been trying some up the wall stuff, but given that I also lose my posture pretty badly at the top of my backswing, which I guess I have ingrained due to the really flat shoulders, reaching for the sky just makes it worse. Also, I still don't feel like I can control the face enough for NHA, so I'm getting mostly huge cut shots.

So what do I do now? Do I carry on working on NSA face control and accept that my path will be terrible (for now), then try and fix that later. Do I keep working on NHA stuff to try and get a better path, in the hope that it will allow me to be better at face control when I go back to it, or do I try something else. I've been wondering if soft draw would be better - I'm already pretty inside so I figure I could just lift my arms them swing down from inside and try to flip less. But I'm worried that switching between different patterns is going to totally mess me up?

Help!

So you metioned you are a "open-faced hacker" but then you worked on it. So the question is, what is your miss? Are you slicing or what?

I was an underplaning, inside out push-fader/fatter (full disclosure: occasional pulls too!).

I started with NHA 2.0 - great pattern but I was a little too mechanical with it first time out.

Then I went SD 2.0 - great pattern, I learned how to let go through the ball. But I hooked it a little and couldn't really nail the backswing consistently.

Then I went back to NHA 2.0 - up the wall, not much hip turn, left of the wall. And can do it quite well (i.e. with freedom) now.

Don't think NSA is the one for you - but let's hear from the experts.

It appears that you are still a bit fuzzy on how to tell if you have the face control. In order to get face control, you have to be able to start the ball on the same line every time. Once you can do that, adjust the path according to the ball flight you desire.

You mention that you are hitting huge cuts. You have to figure out what you need to change if you want to change the ball flight. Is the cut from a closed face and a farther left path?

leon

New
Thanks for the replies so far.

So you metioned you are a "open-faced hacker" but then you worked on it. So the question is, what is your miss? Are you slicing or what?

Sorry, forgot to say my usual miss is a (really high) pull hook. I'm timing my flip quite well right now so hitting it really straight with my NSA swing, but still super high.

It appears that you are still a bit fuzzy on how to tell if you have the face control. In order to get face control, you have to be able to start the ball on the same line every time. Once you can do that, adjust the path according to the ball flight you desire.

You mention that you are hitting huge cuts. You have to figure out what you need to change if you want to change the ball flight. Is the cut from a closed face and a farther left path?

I'm pretty sure the big slice, which I'm seeing since I started trying NHA, is from an open face. I figure I'm just not timing the flip as well.

I'm interested in the answers to this too. I've been lurking for a while on this forum. I finally bought NHA 2 and started playing great with my irons. However, I'm slicing the driver like crazy. Should I switch to the NSA swing like the op?

Nothing wrong with "really straight". Too high could be from your shafts. IDK, no expert here. Best thing to do is post a video so the real experts can offer advice.

I'm interested in the answers to this too. I've been lurking for a while on this forum. I finally bought NHA 2 and started playing great with my irons. However, I'm slicing the driver like crazy. Should I switch to the NSA swing like the op?

It's possible. I used to hook the ball so I figured I needed NHA as well. But then reality hit when I had a lesson and learned my face was wide open and swinging way right. Was shocked when I started doing drills from NSA.

I'm no professional, but if you're hitting your irons great, I wouldn't do anything drastic. You've got to figure out WHY you're slicing the driver like crazy first, and fix that. Otherwise you could end up in an endless circle. With a great deal of insight from this site, I've been putting pieces together, and am figuring out why I could never hit my irons and driver well on the same day. Its all from when I first started golf, watching those Nicklaus "Golf My Way" videos on YouTube. One basic swing for all shots my ass.

Thanks for the replies so far.

I'm pretty sure the big slice, which I'm seeing since I started trying NHA, is from an open face. I figure I'm just not timing the flip as well.

That's why I posed the question earlier. If you are still "timing a flip", then you do not have very good club face control. You also called the ball flight a huge cut and now a big slice. To analyze the ball flight without a Trackman or similar device, it is more precise to say where the ball starts and where it curves to help separate club face orientation from path.

Get the face starting the ball where you want consistently and adjust the path based on the ball's curve. Twistaway all the way through the transition and into the downswing has been the best club face control tool I have found.

Is it a high pull with the shorter clubs / push fade with driver?

Push fade: starts right, goes even more right?

Are you sure you really flip it with your hands? Or do you just have to swing hard OTT to get to the ball?

leon

New
Is it a high pull with the shorter clubs / push fade with driver?

Push fade: starts right, goes even more right?

Are you sure you really flip it with your hands? Or do you just have to swing hard OTT to get to the ball?

When timing is off everything goes left, not just irons, although generally short irons are worse that long irons & woods. All high pulls or pull hooks. That's what makes me think flip.

leon

New
That's why I posed the question earlier. If you are still "timing a flip", then you do not have very good club face control. You also called the ball flight a huge cut and now a big slice. To analyze the ball flight without a Trackman or similar device, it is more precise to say where the ball starts and where it curves to help separate club face orientation from path.

Get the face starting the ball where you want consistently and adjust the path based on the ball's curve. Twistaway all the way through the transition and into the downswing has been the best club face control tool I have found.

Sorry, I realise now I should have been more precise. NHA swing results in pull or pull slice, although push slices with woods. Its a novelty in that I've not hit slices for years, but the novelty soon wore off!

Could you just be overdoing NSA?

Oops, hold on. This was for the pull and pull hooks but now you are mentioning balls going to the right.

From what you're saying, I'm really thinking inconsistent club face control is your main problem and if you are timing the flip, then that makes even more sense--early release=closed club face=left; late release=open club face=right

leon

New
Thanks guys. My question really is just this:

Is it possible for the path to be so inside that working on face control using NSA components won't work as intended? If so, how much is too inside and what to.do instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.