Help with Body Movement - Am i on the right track?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy folks -
First of all. Thanks to Brian for the great site, the great forum, and for his terrific web videos. Have em all!. For some context on me, I started playing golf when I was 16 or 17 and got hooked on the game at that point. I was a decent athlete and played most sports growing up soccer, tennis, baseball, and lacrosse. Even those I did not play in school I felt I was decent at including basketball. I ended up playing D1 lacrosse in college. Then there was golf – stupid game, ball doesn’t move, “I’m a good athlete” I told myself… shouldn’t be so hard. Of course I was dead wrong. Long story short on golf, I sucked and worked to become less sucky and actually tried out for the college golf team my senior year, but was not good enough to get it done… but I was determined to be good at the game.

I sort of plodded along through my 20s playing irregularly and trying to get something playable for the times I did get out there. My swing really sucked though.

About 4 years ago I hooked up with a teacher who helped me get from a 13 to where I am now, a 6. Been somewhere between a 5 and a 6 for the last 2 years now. My short-game and putting have greatly improved over the last year, but my swing has gotten worse.

I found TGM, then Brian and Mike Jacobs etc through my OCD quest to be a really good player. I am hoping working with Mike on LI to be able to get my swing in order and to work towards being competitive locally as an amateur (no laughing please :p).

So, my swing is sort of a mess right now, since what I was doing when I came to see Michael for the first time was/is a big lean left move at the top and a very very pronounced spinning out of the left hip. It was how I was taught to create speed. I also had been goofing around with both the NHA and the SD patterns going back and forth. I know, I am a putz. Anyway, I had a 1.5hr session right before the season ended this year with Michael and we worked on and I am supposed to be working on my pivot until we can resume in the Spring. It has been tough as the position he wants me to be in with the body is nowhere close to what I have done all my life and believe me I hit a lot of balls, so the bad move is ingrained.

So, enough of the back-story, to the swing…

LINK #1: me in my garage hitting stall on the P3proswing from early in 2010
YouTube - JDM DTL 4-13-2010.avi

LINK #2: From earlier this week trying to work on what Michael had shown me (I think unsuccessfully… still leaning left)
YouTube - JDM DTL 11-16-2010.mp4

LINK #3: a practice swing front view where I THINK I have made progress on the pivot... maybe a touch too exaggerated
YouTube - JDM FV 11-17-2010 (practice swing).mp4

I would LOVE all thoughts on the direction I am heading here in particular with regard to the body movement. Also, I have been working through building blocks and working on chip shots, pitch shots etc and the FLW etc and it seems that now with this body movement and a FLW, I am leaving the face open. Love some thoughts on that as well.

Thanks for the input and thanks for taking time out to read my diatribe and help me on my journey.

Best,
Jim

S

SteveT

Difficult to say from the videos ... but you could be coming out of your spinal tilt a bit too soon. Try to stay down a tad longer through Impact ... which means your head should be kept a bit more stationary to retain the spinal tilt into the followthru.

But don't hurt yourself .... ;)

Last edited:
where

HEY DANNYC

Originally Posted by SteveT
Both your eyeballs are tuned inward ... due to your Narcissistic Personality Disorder ..
dude, please stop thread jacking.

where does it say it said what you say it said???

natep

New
In your practice swing it appears that your head/upper body is moving too far away from the target on the backswing. I can't tell if that's what your doing in the dtl swings. Your swing in the dtl views looks good though.

EDIT: I just read your caption under your practice swings about exaggerating a bit. That makes sense.

Last edited:
HEY DANNYC

Originally Posted by SteveT
Both your eyeballs are tuned inward ... due to your Narcissistic Personality Disorder ..
dude, please stop thread jacking.

where does it say it said what you say it said???

It was there before. Check the time when SteveT edited his post.

In your practice swing it appears that your head/upper body is moving too far away from the target on the backswing. I can't tell if that's what your doing in the dtl swings. Your swing in the dtl views looks good though.

EDIT: I just read your caption under your practice swings about exaggerating a bit. That makes sense.

Definitely exaggerated in that practice swing. I am now working on the pivot and trying to keep my head from moving so far off the ball. It's funny because my prior coach had me working to get my eyes level on the backswing and to move my head off the ball, but really was having a hard time getting me to keep my head from leaning left at the top and to keep my head behind the ball at impact... i couldn't do it. All of it can be traced back to the body movement i believe.

Thanks for all the input guys.

just a thought

If i may make a suggestion

try to keep the sternum....inside the right foot....might keep you centered

but then again i have 20,000 people on here that will tell you I know nothing (and i am 1 of them)

swing looks good keep working.....

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Hopefully the above link works - pasting it from my droid. Thanks for all the thoughts guys. Here is a front view from this past weekend. A 6I hit with a 5yd draw at my target. Body movement seems decent to me, but clubface and left hand grip seem crazy closed now. I think I did this when trying to stress the shaft on the takeaway. Again, professional and amatuer opinions all welcome.

Thanks,
Jim

You got a bit of a convoluted swivel there at finish, hinda like a holding half swivel. Might be taking the FLW medicine a little too far.

Stay behind it more, with a little shoulder lag/left hip bump axis tilt and I think you would be in a slot to let the uncocking roll/swivel action complete itself after impact. On the road to effortless power. Let the release motion take care of the power, it will come if you let it.

Gotta lot of good stuff going on though. Surely good enough to play some tournaments.

Nice swing, I hope you ignore any comments and focus on Mike's instruction. The best thing you can do is ignore all swing advice except his. Very easy to drift away and incorporate little things in your pattern that can kill it. I have fallen victim to that in the past.

Practice swings don't reflect the actual swing so basically it's nearly impossible to tell what you're doing wrong. The swing with the ball is difficult to judge aswell but as you have a good coach you should be alright :)

Nice swing, I hope you ignore any comments and focus on Mike's instruction. The best thing you can do is ignore all swing advice except his. Very easy to drift away and incorporate little things in your pattern that can kill it. I have fallen victim to that in the past.

Oh, absolutely... terrific advice and I wouldn't do it any other way (need someone to blame if it doesn't work, kidding!!). MJ has been awesome and I am pumped ab what we are working on.

Status
Not open for further replies.