Henry Cotton's release type clasification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dariusz J.

Gents,

As promised, I will try to describe the three release types created by Mr.Cotton long ago; although it's a pretty old classification, it's still the best for an odrinary player to understand the differences, IMHO.

It's enough to classify them depending on what happens with the clubface in the impact zone. We humans are built the way that there are no many possibilities left. In fact, there are only three pure models (and as usually, when there are pure models a mixture of them must be taken into account):

1. wrists themselves are rotating at the impact zone causing the clubhead turn in a horizontal plane - the clubhead is being delivered open to the swing arc at the beginning of the impact zone and is leaving the impact zone closed to the arc. The ball "feels" it is forced to be horizontally spun. Loft is not changing during impact. The crossover release.

2. wrists themselves are uncocking/unhinging at the impact zone causing a clubhead turn in a vertical plane - the clubhead is being delivered square to the arc and leaving it square to the arc as well. The ball "feels" it is forced to be vertically spun. Loft is changing during impact. The slap-hinge release.

3. wrist themselves are doing literally nothing in the impact zone - the clubhead is being delivered square to the arc and is leaving it square; the ball "feels" nothing odd apart from being hit according to the swing plane. Neither extra horizontal or vertical spin is being added. Loft is not changing during impact. The push release.

Last but not least - a remark: forearms must roll somewhere during the swing (so-called "swivel") because this is the way we are built. The crucial part in distinguishing a crossover release from the two other releases is to observe when it is happening. The support of the body turn, depending on the release, is also very important, but this would be a subject for a completely new thread.

Cheers

:
Gents,

As promised, I will try to describe the three release types created by Mr.Cotton long ago; although it's a pretty old classification, it's still the best for an odrinary player to understand the differences, IMHO.

It's enough to classify them depending on what happens with the clubface in the impact zone. We humans are built the way that there are no many possibilities left. In fact, there are only three pure models (and as usually, when there are pure models a mixture of them must be taken into account):

1. wrists themselves are rotating at the impact zone causing the clubhead turn in a horizontal plane - the clubhead is being delivered open to the swing arc at the beginning of the impact zone and is leaving the impact zone closed to the arc. The ball "feels" it is forced to be horizontally spun. Loft is not changing during impact. The crossover release.

2. wrists themselves are uncocking/unhinging at the impact zone causing a clubhead turn in a vertical plane - the clubhead is being delivered square to the arc and leaving it square to the arc as well. The ball "feels" it is forced to be vertically spun. Loft is changing during impact. The slap-hinge release.

3. wrist themselves are doing literally nothing in the impact zone - the clubhead is being delivered square to the arc and is leaving it square; the ball "feels" nothing odd apart from being hit according to the swing plane. Neither extra horizontal or vertical spin is being added. Loft is not changing during impact. The push release.

Last but not least - a remark: forearms must roll somewhere during the swing (so-called "swivel") because this is the way we are built. The crucial part in distinguishing a crossover release from the two other releases is to observe when it is happening. The support of the body turn, depending on the release, is also very important, but this would be a subject for a completely new thread.

Cheers

thanks for the info Dariusz can you classify different players to Cotton's idea or can the numerous release types in TGM be grouped into the 3 catergories
I'll put Hogan in the slap-hinge release column for a start up and dont tell me he is a push release

Dariusz J.

Spike,

I do not know how e.g. Brian or another TGM guru would refer to Cotton's classification. Perhaps Brian himself can chime in here in a free moment.

Hogan (post-secret) with irons is definitely a push release. Slap-hinge is nothing less, nothing more but a well-timed flip, thus, the TGM connotation is not good, I think.

It's difficult to find pure models, since releases of golfers usually are a mixture of pure models; just to give you a picture of modern players: 1) crossover release - e.g. Els; 2) slap-hinge release - e.g. McCarron; 3) push relase - e.g. Garcia. Woods has a crossover release with driver and more of push one with his irons NOW. Former, he was all crossover release guy.

Cheers

the real question for daruisz is whether you believe that a push release can be made without having the right elbow up and back.

Spike,

I do not know how e.g. Brian or another TGM guru would refer to Cotton's classification. Perhaps Brian himself can chime in here in a free moment.

Hogan (post-secret) with irons is definitely a push release. Slap-hinge is nothing less, nothing more but a well-timed flip, thus, the TGM connotation is not good, I think.

It's difficult to find pure models, since releases of golfers usually are a mixture of pure models; just to give you a picture of modern players: 1) crossover release - e.g. Els; 2) slap-hinge release - e.g. McCarron; 3) push relase - e.g. Garcia. Woods has a crossover release with driver and more of push one with his irons NOW. Former, he was all crossover release guy.

Cheers

Yes i reread your descriptions clubhead moving vertical on the slap hinge and i kinda had a picture of the clubface working slightly vertical lol
For sure no slap hinge so i guess catergory push release i guess thats why its such a bad terminology cause the old lady down the road could push release and hit it 20 yards:)
Hogan definitely had active wrists at impact so auto snap release with angle hingeing may be more accurate
As far as the old right elbow debate thats relative to the pivot of the player
i.e Furyk very little backswing pivot elbow up and back for the "push release"
Hogan lot of backswing pivot elbow more in front or on the hip for "push release"

Dariusz J.

the real question for daruisz is whether you believe that a push release can be made without having the right elbow up and back.

TF, I believe that it's EASIER to perform a pure push release if the body is open at impact, rear arm bent in elbow and not in front of the body. Why ? Because the upper lead arm is pinned accross the chest and, therefore, body support is much bigger. All depends on the pivot and its role in delivering the clubhead into impact.
Golfspike's explanation is also very good, although I cannot agree in 100% with what he wrote.

Cheers

hcw

New
Sounds alot like?

3. wrist themselves are doing literally nothing in the impact zone - the clubhead is being delivered square to the arc and is leaving it square; the ball "feels" nothing odd apart from being hit according to the swing plane. Neither extra horizontal or vertical spin is being added. Loft is not changing during impact. The push release...

...to me the above sounds alot like HK's hinging:
1) Horizontal
2) Verical
3) Angled

Dariusz have a look at george colemans video of hogan you can see a bit of it on youtube under title Hogans Last Stand where the man himself does a slo mo of his swing and you will see him actively release the club like a baseball player and you may see his lower body is no where near as open as Furyk
Cheers

I have seen this terminology floating around. Can you give more examples/analogies?

i.e. "gather up the marbles" is...?

"full roll with a flat left wrist"...?

etc.

-Paul

Dariusz J.

Spike, I agree, Hogan was not so open as Furyk is, but still he was enough open at impact to perform a great push release with even a bowed left wrist at impact. Hogan Last Stand vid is when The Man was 80 yrs old (or so) - watch his earlier vids.

Cheers

Spike, I agree, Hogan was not so open as Furyk is, but still he was enough open at impact to perform a great push release with even a bowed left wrist at impact. Hogan Last Stand vid is when The Man was 80 yrs old (or so) - watch his earlier vids.

Cheers

80 no i think he was late 60's anyway the bowed left wrist is in reality a result of the left wrist uncocking and the left hand arching. the problem i see with these release classifications that they really do seem much like HK and the hingeing process and not really release type at all. The push release you have described really sounds like angle hingeing to me . These releases of Cottons are about clubface control. In actual fact you could say that maybe 5 million golfers use a "push release" or angle hingeing :)

80 no i think he was late 60's anyway the bowed left wrist is in reality a result of the left wrist uncocking and the left hand arching. the problem i see with these release classifications that they really do seem much like HK and the hingeing process and not really release type at all. The push release you have described really sounds like angle hingeing to me . These releases of Cottons are about clubface control. In actual fact you could say that maybe 5 million golfers use a "push release" or angle hingeing :)

There is another video on youtube where a younger hogan does the same slow mo swing. He also demonstrates the active release in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNlUKLPFwQE

There is another video on youtube where a younger hogan does the same slow mo swing. He also demonstrates the active release in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNlUKLPFwQE

Seen every video out there . As Hogan said 3 right hands and seriously i read people saying he was being crytic and actually meant 3 left hands. Ben crenshaws description of Hogans swing and how active his release is in the book ( hogan mystique by jules alexander ) was good after all he saw it in person not a picture or an old video

Status
Not open for further replies.