Hi speed impact NBC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somebody has to let Miller and the NBC GUYS in on gear effect and center impact. Its always the player who is doing the face closing or opening never the contact point, according to the talking heads. It's like TRACKMAN science doesn't exist on the broadcast.

I know I go on these anti Miller jags sometimes but that's not the point. If I taught by some of the principles they believe in I'd be out of business. Later they showed a Rory club face that didn't move AT ALL. can you say center? Or at least he hit the no twist spot.

I'm still trying to find the science behind the face turning over quickly after the ball is well off the face (McIlroy) causes the ball to hook.

It is still very difficult for me to understand how and why people completely discount what the ball (or sometimes even the ground) does to the club due to the collision.

I believe that if one examines history that humans are horrible at understanding cause/effect in almost all areas of life. Man is constantly wrong and just guesses. The devil is always in the details in life and most people don't have the patience or intelligence to examine the details. TV producers don't want truth, they want soundbites which often doesnt' work for truth.

Unfortunately, I suspect Miller believes his own falsehoods.

When I first took a deep dive in understanding the golf swing, there was one thing I took as fact-

Once you start the downswing, there is almost nothing you can do to CONCIOUSLY to alter impact. I still believe this to be true.

At about the time that I started reading Search for the Perfect Swing, Johnny Miller released his video on the golf swing. I believe that video to be one of the best ever. Everything about Search for the Perfect Swing and Johnny Miller's video lined up except for his theory that he, at the moment of impact, he could feel and control his club face and control what it did.

Hogan and Bobby Jones (in their writings) both clearly state how folly it is to attempt to do anything at impact. Another title that I have much respect for is Swing Like a Pro and the author states the same thing. Through Brian and teams research we have also learned that the club head almost acts as a free body attached to nothing through impact.

Enough is enough. Analysts are supposed to be experts who bring technical insight to the coverage. Now, I know that they are also to be entertainers and drive veiwers to the screen, but the amount of fraudulent information presented by these guys is overwhelming. The first time I ever watched Kostis break down a swing on "biz hub" I was shocked at the misinformation.

What the networks should do is hire a TRULY knowledgable golf swing "expert" to do the swing break down segments.

Erik_K

New
When I first took a deep dive in understanding the golf swing, there was one thing I took as fact-

Once you start the downswing, there is almost nothing you can do to CONCIOUSLY to alter impact. I still believe this to be true.

At about the time that I started reading Search for the Perfect Swing, Johnny Miller released his video on the golf swing. I believe that video to be one of the best ever. Everything about Search for the Perfect Swing and Johnny Miller's video lined up except for his theory that he, at the moment of impact, he could feel and control his club face and control what it did.

Hogan and Bobby Jones (in their writings) both clearly state how folly it is to attempt to do anything at impact. Another title that I have much respect for is Swing Like a Pro and the author states the same thing. Through Brian and teams research we have also learned that the club head almost acts as a free body attached to nothing through impact.

Enough is enough. Analysts are supposed to be experts who bring technical insight to the coverage. Now, I know that they are also to be entertainers and drive veiwers to the screen, but the amount of fraudulent information presented by these guys is overwhelming. The first time I ever watched Kostis break down a swing on "biz hub" I was shocked at the misinformation.

What the networks should do is hire a TRULY knowledgable golf swing "expert" to do the swing break down segments.

Correct. Both Mann and Griffin noted that once you are at the top of the swing, impact is under 1s away and the amount of time the ball "rests" on the face is extremely small. How anyone can think they can control the ball at impact is beyond me (compare reaction time speeds vs the time the ball is in contact with the club).

50+ years ago Hogan noted that the is running into the ball at a very high rate and any conscious manipulation would lead to horrendous results.

I certainly never did until I started hanging around here.

Really?

I guess I was lucky then to grow up hitting things and noticing how whatever I was using to hit things with--mostly baseball bats and hammers--reacted in different ways depending on how and where the object was hit. And no matter how hard I hung on or squeezed the handle to try and resist the results of impacts, I couldn't. Hit a nail toward the outside of the hammer head and there is no way you can stop the hammer twisting in your hand. Just figured any twisting and vibration came from the impact and to minimize the twisting or vibration, I had to try to hit the object with the "sweetspot".

If I had a buck for every time I've a student say to me, "the club twisted in my hand", I would be, well I'd still be teaching probably. But I'd Have a few more bucks...

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Where is the scientific proof, or research study, that 100 random golfers, or a 100 plus handicappers, would ALL be taught a so-called "low face rotation" swing, and a second group of 100 random golfers, and a 100 plus handicappers, would ALL be taught a so-called high face rotation swing, and the "low face rotation" group would win after a day of teaching or a month of it?

The whole thing is just propaganda.

On a few career rounds of my life I could have sworn that time slowed down so much that I could change the face at Impact. I know that was just a zone-related super-awareness, but I still felt it and believed it. I bet Miller was waaaayyy more often in that state than I was.

Really?

I guess I was lucky then to grow up hitting things and noticing how whatever I was using to hit things with--mostly baseball bats and hammers--reacted in different ways depending on how and where the object was hit. And no matter how hard I hung on or squeezed the handle to try and resist the results of impacts, I couldn't. Hit a nail toward the outside of the hammer head and there is no way you can stop the hammer twisting in your hand. Just figured any twisting and vibration came from the impact and to minimize the twisting or vibration, I had to try to hit the object with the "sweetspot".

It just never entered my world. I never had a backboard twist from a softly banked jumper. Club-to-ball sports are relatively new to me, and the learning curve has been steep. :)

Where is the scientific proof, or research study, that 100 random golfers, or a 100 plus handicappers, would ALL be taught a so-called "low face rotation" swing, and a second group of 100 random golfers, and a 100 plus handicappers, would ALL be taught a so-called high face rotation swing, and the "low face rotation" group would win after a day of teaching or a month of it?

The whole thing is just propaganda.

It would be totally interesting to see people try to teach a low face rotation swing vs teaching a high face rotation swing. It would be quite disconcerting as the teacher told the student to drag the face into the ball with the body pivot, and then after some formation flying, the whole system crashes, and the club goes flip central......and the then the teacher would say: ok, you're still too active with the arms, lead more with the body through impact.

...and the fast face rotation teachers would tell the students to twist the handle like a mofo, and accidentally fall into a perfect sequence.....and the face would look perpendicular to the arc after impact.....oh, the joy of watching the teachers kicking their casio's off the tri-pods.

I just wait until impact before I decide what ball flight I want. ROFL and RIPRL (rolling in polish rough laughing).;)

Soon to be released ...

"Drive and Hold"
The radical golf swing concept that is taking the golf world by storm!
With Forward by Johnny Miller.

Status
Not open for further replies.