Hip injury-- anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a righthanded golfer, 7 handicap. 49yo, 6'2", 185lb. Very good condition. I've been working with a wonderful TGM guy, and fooing around with the stuff discussed on this board and Brian's videos.

Two days ago I was concentrating on hands forward at impact, which tends to force the rest of my body into a good position, and keeping my right heel close to the ground moving laterally, instead of spinning around my toe. Of course this puts a stretch on the left side.

Bang! A shooting pain, radiating up and down, from the "point" of my left hip.

i waited two days, got a massage, did a jacuzzi and lots of stretching, then went out to chip. Bang! there it was again.

It's been two days now, and of course I'm not hitting balls. I can feel it when I walk. It doesn't cause any difficulties, except when doing the exact moves of the golf swing I've been learning. Oddly, when I look at Brian's pic in the "position," my hip throbs with sympathetic pain.

Anyone else have an injury like this? Generally, going to a doctor would mean significant expense with no real benefit. Very frustrating; not interested in just hanging out with Phil Mickelson. Thanks.

Last edited:
tucson. Very specific to the flex necessary to accomplish the impact position we are generally trying to achieve.

Put me on the "sore left hip" list. I think it has come from a hard sway to the left (right handed golfer) rather than a proper turn. I am going to try and get some video to see if I can see anything.
It hasn't been helped by playing soccer last night for the first time in a year, so I am sore in various places, but I can really feel that hip which I have never felt after playing soccer before.

Today marks 1 week since I last hit balls, still sore. Are there specific stretches to help with what we're working on here? Getting in the right position seems to require a move to the left, with a significant stretch to maintain tilt.

Busy preparing for the fourth - my wife's birthday - a trip to the beach
Taking online tests for my classes
and we cut down a big white oak in our front yard

I'll have a few suggestions in the next couple of days.

"Shooting pain, radiating up and down, from the "point" of my left hip."

Would guess you strained one of the hip muscles – possibly the tensor fascia latae (the muscle that starts the Iliotibial band or I T band) It could also be the obliques but would have to actually see you.

Hips are under-appreciated by most golfers- the role they play during the swing. Lightly stretch both hips a couple of times a day

Heres’ a pretty good page on some basic hip stretches

http://www.howtostretch.com/iliotibi.htm

Also as soon as you can squat without pain – esp one legged then work that in- You mentioned that you are in good condition – add some more hip work to your workout –

If you need to see someone then
I’d recommend Ira Gluck, DC @

5667 East Grant Rd
Tucson, AZ 85712 520-296-8767

He is certified in a technique I also practice – ART (but make sure he didn't just move from NC--long story.)

Good luck

George

Status
Not open for further replies.