Hip Rotation - Over/Under Rotation Causes and Effects

Status
Not open for further replies.
The issue of over-rotation was discussed on a previous thread as well as on Michael's site when discussing the Golf MTRx iPhone app. The apparent consensus is that over-rotation is a common fault of most amateur golfers.

I have Golf Mtrx. My numbers typically range from mid- to upper-40*, with a few mid-50*, at the Top and mid-30* at impact, Finish at 75*-80*. I used the MTRx inside (my basement setup and the Golf Dome) as well as outside. My other numbers look pretty good, not great but good. (Caveat - I realize Golf MTRx is not a be all/end all, but it's something.)

It appears as though 40* Top, 40* Impact is 'ideal', which implies a 80* movement. I'm moving ~80* on average.

I've worked hard on more fully turning my back to the target (Brian knows this 1st hand!). Also, I'm fairly certain that I could get good numbers, but hit a poor shot due to bad hand path.

Here are my questions:
How can one reduce over-rotation? More 'solid' footing? More against R leg/inside R foot?

What are the effects of over-rotation? What does it keep one from doing? What drills would you suggest?

Which is worse - under-rotate or over-rotate?

Should I care?

I would get on a K-trainer.

I would also personally stop thinking about the movement as just "shut the door, open the door". Just b/c that device measures rotation doesn't mean that is all that is happening down there. My bet is you need to maintain pelvis side bend longer in the downswing and into impact and you also need to feel as thought the left side of the hip goes up instead of left/around at a certain point. Sqeeze the buns!

NB - I aint no golf pro, just speaking from personal experience with this. Hope it helps, but if it don't, go see one of the pros :)

Michael Jacobs

Super Moderator
Have all the answers for you... coming out in "Ground Reaction Forces" the movie. There are some very exciting things going to come out in the next days and weeks.

Thanks, Micheal. One other question (for now),, Would a stance that is too narrow contribute? I think I read this recently,, I know Brian wanted me to widen my stance a tad.

Have all the answers for you... coming out in "Ground Reaction Forces" the movie. There are some very exciting things going to come out in the next days and weeks.

Who are you going to listen to some guy who has been teaching his whole life, who studies this phenomenon and who knows what he is talking about or me?

I've been working on this for at least 2 weeks now in the garage - should qualify me for at least my own website if not my own golf school by internet standards ;).

I would get on a K-trainer.

I would also personally stop thinking about the movement as just "shut the door, open the door". Just b/c that device measures rotation doesn't mean that is all that is happening down there. My bet is you need to maintain pelvis side bend longer in the downswing and into impact and you also need to feel as thought the left side of the hip goes up instead of left/around at a certain point. Sqeeze the buns!

NB - I aint no golf pro, just speaking from personal experience with this. Hope it helps, but if it don't, go see one of the pros :)

Thanks. I don't want to over-analyze. I just know I was striking the ball during my trip to FL in late November as best as I did all year after recovery from the neck surgery. I work with both Brian and Kevin,, all I want to do is to keep it respectable and reduce my HI by 3-5 strokes,, I'm 58 and not getting any younger,, some length will help.

Keep an eye on whether your right hips turn flat. Turning flat can be a problem for some people. Right hip normally goes UP and back.

Status
Not open for further replies.