Hip Turn - Hip Slant (with Brian Manzella Video Answer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So tired of HOGAN and his secrets... This doesn't look awful, but your pivot has to match your swing or your swing has to match your pattern.

JeffM

Self-mastery

In what way must the backswing pivot action match the swing?

What's wrong with Shawn Clements' suggestions in that video lesson?

Jeff.

Self-mastery

In what way must the backswing pivot action match the swing?

What's wrong with Shawn Clements' suggestions in that video lesson?

Jeff.

I didn't say anything was wrong with his video. My pivot action looks sort of like this, but sexier.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong about this, Dr. Jeff.....

Because the pelvis is at a downward bend at address the only way to achieve a circular and level hip rotation would be to add a tilt to the hips at address. This would have the left hip higher than the right. The right rear pocket would then move towards the left rear pocket causing a sitting feeling in the right leg with the left knee moving out in front of the ball, initially. The right shoulder would have to stay "low" not high(feeling wise) in order to not disrupt the level hip turn.

This kind of backswing pivot really torques the feet into the gound and creates a very stable base from which to deliver the club to the ball.

no,spike!

Because the pelvis is at a downward bend at address the only way to achieve a circular and level hip rotation would be to add a tilt to the hips at address. This would have the left hip higher than the right. The right rear pocket would then move towards the left rear pocket causing a sitting feeling in the right leg with the left knee moving out in front of the ball, initially. The right shoulder would have to stay "low" not high(feeling wise) in order to not disrupt the level hip turn.

This kind of backswing pivot really torques the feet into the gound and creates a very stable base from which to deliver the club to the ball.

this would be a reverse hip shift and i dont see how it affects the shoulder action.may explain you current form!:D

JeffM

Spike

Unfortunately, I cannot understand what you are saying. I don't know what you mean when you say a "downward bend of the pelvis" at address.

I also cannot understand how the pelvis can rotate horizontally without tilt during the backswing and downswing. I think that it can only happen during the interval when the hips are squared and weight is equally distributed between each lower limb, and when each lower limb is equally flexed.

I think that the hips tend to tilt during the hip pivot action, and that the relevant hemi-pelvis (which is being weighted) will tilt up as the pelvis rotates/rocks over the weighted femoral head - because the lower limb on that side is deliberately straightened (rigidified). While that is happening, the unweighted hemi-pelvis will tilt slightly downwards because the relevant lower limb on that side will bend slightly if unweighted. In the backswing, the weighted femoral head is on the right, and the right hemi-pelvis will tilt up; while in the late downswing, the left hemi-pelvis will tilt up as it rotates over a straightening left leg. During the early-mid downswing, when the hips are squared, and both lower limbs are roughly equally weighted, then the pelvis can move roughly horizontally, without tilting.

Jeff.

If there was a club just hanging there in the air making the perfect on plane swing all by itself...and I was able to walk up behind it and grip that club...and if I just let my body follow the motion of that swinging club...how would my hips work?

Spike

Thanks Jeff and I'll try to explain...if I can. Below in quotes and bold are your questions and statements.

"Unfortunately, I cannot understand what you are saying. I don't know what you mean when you say a "downward bend of the pelvis" at address."

I think the pelvis tilts forward from top to bottom when standing erect. Now, forward in golf means left, so I used the word downward and probably should have use the word tilt. But, tilt in golf means left side higher than right side. So therefore my dilemma with wording. So, would it make sense to say that the plevis tilts forward (toward the ball) at address? Not sure, medically that is.:(

"I also cannot understand how the pelvis can rotate horizontally without tilt during the backswing and downswing. I think that it can only happen during the interval when the hips are squared and weight is equally distributed between each lower limb, and when each lower limb is equally flexed."

I understand what you are saying. But, I was specifically talking about the backswing only. The hips will not stay level during the move forward, for sure. My point being (ignoring the pelvic tilt), that in order for the hips to turn level in the backswing they must have a golf tilt at address(left hip higher than right hip) and the right hip moves in the correct direction with a corresponding knee action. Which would be a deep flex or bend in the right thigh, otherwise the right hip would rise.

"I think that the hips tend to tilt during the hip pivot action, and that the relevant hemi-pelvis (which is being weighted) will tilt up as the pelvis rotates/rocks over the weighted femoral head - because the lower limb on that side is deliberately straightened (rigidified). While that is happening, the unweighted hemi-pelvis will tilt slightly downwards because the relevant lower limb on that side will bend slightly if unweighted. In the backswing, the weighted femoral head is on the right, and the right hemi-pelvis will tilt up;"

This I can understand if there is a lower body weight shift from one foot to the other....nothing wrong with that....it is a way, to be sure. However, in attempting a Level Hip Turn, the weight shift is an upper body condition coupled with the dynamic weight of the swinging clubhead, so to speak. This level hip turn is very effective in counterbalancing the force of the swinging clubhead in a lagging clubhead takeaway.

It also help the shoulders to rotate around the original spine angle and tilt. (That was for you Uncle Dave):)

"...while in the late downswing, the left hemi-pelvis will tilt up as it rotates over a straightening left leg. During the early-mid downswing, when the hips are squared, and both lower limbs are roughly equally weighted, then the pelvis can move roughly horizontally, without tilting."

Fair enough.... and in either case of level or tilted hips, in the backswing, there will be a slight bump of the hips forward in the downswing, moving toward the condition you stated above.... I agree....shift happens, man.:D So does tilt.

I hope that made it more clear for your analysis, which I really appreciate. Thank you again, you facilitator you.:)

spike

Peter Croker

Is Peter your source?

JeffM

I agree with Brian's fundamental opinion that the primary purpose of the hip backswing pivot movement is to get the right shoulder on the turned shoulder plane at the end of the backswing. Brian demonstrates that this is accomplished by straightening the right leg, and this maneuver slants the hips. What happens anatomically during this hip-slanting maneuver, and how does it actually get the right shoulder back to the turned shoulder plane? I believe that the "correct" anatomical answer is that the right femoral head moves back (away from the ball-target line) and slightly to the left, and the right hip socket (acetabulum) simultaneously slides slightly forwards over the "fixed" right femoral head (towards the ball-target line) during this hip-slanting maneuver. This movement of the right femoral head/acetabulum causes the pelvis to rotate in such a manner that the right buttocks goes back (away from the ball-target line) and slightly to the left. This pelvic movement also causes the spine to reorient itself to the right, so that when the shoulders turn around the spinal axis (which is now reoriented to the right) during the backswing, the right shoulder ends up on the shoulder turn plane.

Jeff.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Hmmm....

I believe I said that your hips turn however far they NEED TO to get the right shoulder deep enough for the player to use their right shoulder easily on the downswing.

All that other stuff isn't going to help ANYONE hit a draw with their driver.

(But, you impressed someone I'm sure)

......that the right buttocks goes back (away from the ball-target line) and slightly to the left.

It only goes back very slightly Jeff....your b/s pivot should move the left hip around the right "posted" leg, which is extended or otherwise...

Anything else is "wiping your ass on the grass"....

JeffM

Puttmad

You state that the right buttocks only goes back slightly. I never said otherwise, and I only described the anatomical phenomenon. As Brian stated, one only needs enough hip turn to get the right shoulder to the desired end-backswing spot and there is no need to pivot the hip more than that amount.

I also cannot understand why you believe that the purpose of the backswing hip pivot action is to get the LEFT hip around the right leg. What is the importance of the LEFT hemi-pelvis movement in the backswing? If the left hip moves around, what DIRECT beneficial effect does it have on the backswing?

Jeff.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.