Hitting indoors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's not ideal. But for those of you who have done this successfully (without being able to see the ballflight), how were you able to do it? I have a setup in my garage, which is what I'll be using primarily (won't be playing much due to a new baby and unemployment). Just wondering how I can make positive use of this without damaging my game too much.

Well, making big swing changes indoors during winter has it's risks because you don't get to see the ballflight. But since it's not winter right now, if you have a chance to occasionally check the ballflight outside, I do not think practicing indoors will have a negative influence on your game, perhaps the opposite. I think the best thing to work on is solid contact and impact, because that's your best feedback indoors.

I practiced around 6hrs a week this winter for about 5 months without seeing my ballflight more than 10 meters. I made some swing changes, got better by improving impact. When I got outdoors, every ball was curving right, which took some time to fix.

I know you already know this but be careful. I have a mat and net and used to hit balls like crazy. It hurt my game more than it helped. I do know there are some better players on here that use it if they are trying to make a certain change in their swing, etc. BUT, they use a video camera which I think is important. Otherwise, like for me, you can get out of whack. Good luck, more importantly with work. Golf is just a stupid little game compared to other things in life.

I have set up an indoor range by using a tarp, painter's tarp from hardware store, folded over a rod. Works great. And, I've been able to measure progress by using a swing speed gadget and playing once in a while.

I have set up an indoor range by using a tarp, painter's tarp from hardware store, folded over a rod. Works great. And, I've been able to measure progress by using a swing speed gadget and playing once in a while.

How did you deal with the ballflight/curvature issue? Or was it even an issue?

How did you deal with the ballflight/curvature issue? Or was it even an issue?

My typical flight is a hook or draw. Brian has given me a great fix, essentially soft draw backswing. So I kind of know where its going and monitor that real close every time I can get outside.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I would only really work on pitching and clubhead path / clubface in doors with limited space. Anything more than that you don't know where the ball is going and you could ingrain bad habits that you will have to undo later which is never fun.

Sometimes I hit balls at a covered outdoor facility--into a net. It's an interesting setup, but if there was no net the ball would be launching over la Seine into some high rises.

Anyway, I find it very worthwhile compared to not doing anything. Sometimes when you are working on something, not worrying about ball flight can be a good thing. Practice swings in the back yard are ok when you're working on a grip change, right? You either make contact on the sweet spot or you don't.

Doing drills is good for this type of setup--you're not that interested in where the ball is going in some cases anyway. If you can get a good mirror, you can check all sorts of things. You can also put a line/marker on your net/tarp and check your start direction (assuming you have some ball flight time). With all the recent discussion on zeroing your path and learning to hit "straight" shots, this can give you some data. Work on trajectory if you like.

If you are a good player, your fundamentals don't change day-to-day. It's the feel for the clubhead, tempo, and balance that you can be working on indoors. Wouldn't do it all this way, but you do what you can. Cheers.

I'm actually thinking of getting one of those deals at the PGA Tour Superstore where you can get unlimited use of their bays. Since the weather is crappy here in Atlanta from about Thanksgiving to March and then rains so much in the spring, I think it's a good alternative since they have pretty good launch monitors that do tell your clubface angle and path.

3JACK

I hang up an old piece of carpet...More important is what you are hitting off of, after a week of hitting off of an old piece of plush carpet on the cement floor my wrists and elbows really started to hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.