Hitting Irons Low on the Face

Status
Not open for further replies.
My last 2 range sessions I've been hitting my irons a little low on the face, pretty much through the bag. Not a skull, but definitely below the sweet spot. It results in a low ball flight, but here's the thing, they don't run out like an ordinary thin shot. They spin like hell and take one hop and stop, and these are range balls mind you. The mats at the range are extremely firm, so I can't take any divots. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on here? I can't figure out if I'm hitting down too much, not enough or what.

Sounds like mat-a-phobia to me. The body ain't dumb. A steel club heading for a collision into a hard surface - self preservation might be in play. :)

How you doing off turf?

Sounds like mat-a-phobia to me. The body ain't dumb. A steel club heading for a collision into a hard surface - self preservation might be in play. :)

How you doing off turf?

Well, I've only been out once this year because it's either been cold, or rainy on the weekends. I was hitting my irons well then though, and pretty high. But I typically tend to be more of a digger, then a sweeper, so maybe you're right. My wrist has been bothering me a bit lately too. I never really thought about it like that. I'm more likely to hit it thin, than fat, and I'll get a couple of these shots on the course. Since it spins so much it's not really an issue except for leaving me a long putt since it comes up shorter then a higher trajectory.

So what do you think, find a better range? The one range with grass tee's that is convenient to my area doesn't open their grass range till May. The range I usually go to doesn't replace their stuff very often, and they stay quite busy so it gets alot of use. They do have the mat strips that take tees, and are softer to allow some give, but they are always a different height than the stance mat so you're always hitting with the ball below your feet, which isn't helping if I'm hitting it low on the face already. I need a shim or something I guess.

Move down to the south :)

My swing definitely changes when I hit off of old hard mats. I become a picker of the highest order. If I don't, whatever good feelings that come from a pure strike are over ridden by the blunt force trama.

Of course, you could always tote a 3x4 Real Feel mat.

Move down to the south :)

My swing definitely changes when I hit off of old hard mats. I become a picker of the highest order. If I don't, whatever good feelings that come from a pure strike are over ridden by the blunt force trama.

Of course, you could always tote a 3x4 Real Feel mat.

I'd love to move someplace with a little warmer year round weather. Maryland winters aren't too terrible, but definitely not good for golf. Spring is pretty wet too. Unfortunately my girlfriend isn't willing to leave her family behind so I can golf in comfort. Talk about selfish...

I'd love one of those real feel mats, but its not in the budget right now. I just noticed on their website though one of the pictures is from a range that's pretty close, so I'll have to get down there and check it out. I appreciate the suggestions. I suppose I'll just have to work on picking it a little better for now. Since spring has been so wet around here lately that might not be a bad idea anyways.

Hitting off hard thin mats inevitably led to me swiping at the ball. Impact quality nosedived, back and wrists got sore, and in the end I was left wondering why I went through the trouble. I say this in the past tense because now if there isn't any turf (or fluffy mats) available I'm heading to the short game practice area instead.

Hard mats are no golf.

Well, I've only been out once this year because it's either been cold, or rainy on the weekends. I was hitting my irons well then though, and pretty high. But I typically tend to be more of a digger, then a sweeper, so maybe you're right. My wrist has been bothering me a bit lately too. I never really thought about it like that. I'm more likely to hit it thin, than fat, and I'll get a couple of these shots on the course. Since it spins so much it's not really an issue except for leaving me a long putt since it comes up shorter then a higher trajectory.

So what do you think, find a better range? The one range with grass tee's that is convenient to my area doesn't open their grass range till May. The range I usually go to doesn't replace their stuff very often, and they stay quite busy so it gets alot of use. They do have the mat strips that take tees, and are softer to allow some give, but they are always a different height than the stance mat so you're always hitting with the ball below your feet, which isn't helping if I'm hitting it low on the face already. I need a shim or something I guess.

Johnny, I share the same problem in upstate NY, no grass areas accessible until May, and have elbow problems that mats exacerbate. I always spend the first few minutes on a mat with chip and pitch shots, which allow me to aggressively hit the mat without a problem. I then pop a few 8 irons, go to the 6, then the 4. I then move to the driver. After 20 or so full swings I then go to the short game area or just hit chip shots for a while. I then alternate two drivers with a mid or short iron, again resting after every 20 full swings. This helps me avoid matophobia addressed by mgranato and goodyear, but still get in a useful practice session.

When all else fails, elbow permitting, I get out my Tour Striker.

Thanks for the advice everyone. TROYNYGOLFER, that is similar to my warm up routine. Unfortunately the short game areas at the local ranges are extremely pathetic. The range I usually go to is only about 2 miles from my house. Their "short game" area is literally a big pile of sand with astro turf on top. You can practice hitting chips to feel contact, but forget about anything else. I understand that they get alot of use, so it needs to be durable, but it just sucks. Every spring and summer the place is jam packed all day and evening. The only thing they replace is range balls once or twice a year. And they only do that once all the old balls have been beaten so much they no longer have dimples. It's all I can afford, so there's not much else for me to do. I would put money down on their astro turf putting green being far faster then Augusta, or any US Open. It's like putting on glass. This is obviously way off my original topic. It's just frustrating when you don't have much of a budget to work with, but still want to improve. It's a shame, because they've got a real nice piece of property that they just don't maintain except for the bare minimum. Most places around here seem like if you don't have big stacks of cash the only thing they want to help you with is finding the door. I know I've already spend hundreds this year in range balls alone, at $5 for 40 balls it adds up quick. When they won't even make modest improvements why would I want to spend anymore money there? I just keep going back because its so close. Anyways, just had to vent...

...The only thing they replace is range balls once or twice a year..........at $5 for 40 balls.......

You should be happy! Overhere the mats are so tin that I toke divots in three of them using my 3i, so those migth be replaced within 3 years or so . The range balls are never replaced they only add some new once every 2-3 years and are never cleaned because the machine broke down. All that fun for only $4.30 per 25 balls.

But it is much better then the other places around here, one has a 130yards "driving" range but most others don't even have a practice. But the weather is great :cool:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.