Hitting off mats...is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the Hitting Down thread, the subject of mats rears its ugly head. I currently am stuck in a situation where I can only get to ranges with mats, which I hate. I know it's not ideal, but is it detrimental? Would it be better not to hit balls at all? I am mainly hitting wedges and short irons, working on a flat left wrist, descending blow, etc, as well as working on plane. I also practice a lot without a ball at home, looking at my reflection in windows.

I have noticed that since I began hitting off the mats, I notice some slight soreness, especially in my right elbow and my wrists.

I guess it's better than nothing when you are making changes, getting used to feelings etc. but in my experience mats don't show the true results. You can hit fat or thin, and the club will skid along (if you hit fat) and hit the ball perfect, or if you hit thin the ball skids along the mat. In both cases it's a perfect ball flight. Come to play on the grass and you can see the true results. Even if you hit a Driver off the mat (no tee) the reuslts are still the same, but to a lesser extent.
I played alot on mats over the winter, and as soon as I was able to get on the grass come the Spring, the results were not the same.
So to sum up, I feel you can get away with the 'flip' to a greater extent on mats.

I don't think it's a bad thing...so long as you know what can happen negatively...and why whatever happens DOES happen- so you can watch for it and fix it if it creeps in there.

I had a similar problem to what Dentman has in the "Hitting Down - Ben Doyle..." thread.
High fluffers...the "mat swing" wasn't so transferrable to the course once summer began...but man, I loved those "flier" lies...

The mats will hide a lot of things that grass (with tightish lie) will not. They are more forgiving on Angle of Attack...

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
No, just don't be afraid to hit down. Also don't hit too many balls because you're left wrist/elbow will become sore. This is also where my shoulder problem came from. There is no divot to take so the shock goes up your arm and finds the weakest links (joints).

you know you had a good range session off the matts when the soles of your clubs are green :)

DDL

New
quote:Originally posted by brianman

I have given about 10,000 lessons off of mats.

No problem.

Taking lessons from a qualified instructor is one thing. Afterwards, without a a GSED looking over your shoulder, and without divots for feedback, hitting off of rubberized concrete on one's own doesn't seem very productive.

Have done alot of practice in nets with the very soft synthetic mats with no problems at all although I wouldn't like to continue to hit down hard unless they were soft. You know good impact by sound and feel regardless of the lie.

bts

New
I leave the ball at the very front edge of the mat, so that the clubhead can keep going slightly out and down after impact without the mat on its way.

Personally having hit I'd guess tens of thousands of balls off of matts and the same if not more off of grass I know a good ball strike when I hit it.

I can hit down as well on matts as grass and if you do it for long enough on matts you end up with a grove in the matt or a section 2-3 inches long, the width of your club which would equate to your divot.

You also end up with clubs that need to be cleaned.

I say if its all you have access to, have at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.