Hitting off the right hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lately I have been feeling like I am hitting the ball off the right hip. This has helped me pivot better and my ball striking is solid. I have heard this tip before from various places (Ballard, Mike Austin). Is this a good feeling to have with a TGM swing? Thanks

fm

EdZ

New
as long as the hip turn is on the diagonal\crossline, yep - beware of getting too 'around' or you will be off plane in a heartbeat

That is what is happening I think- ball compresses nicely. I am not sure what you mean by too "around". Could you elaborate?

Thanks

EdZ

New
The proper hip motion isn't 'around' as much as it is diagonal. At the top of the backswing, you want to feel like you 'sit on your right cheek', which lets you fire your right side to the inside back corner. When folks try to 'turn' the hips to start the backswing or downswing, the club gets over plane instantly (rolls in and over going back, out and over going down)

The 'fire your right side' folks, like ballard, neglected to share the critical part - that everything comes from 'inside' to on, to 'inside', including the hip motion. Think 45,90,180 degree angles.

Think of drawing your right hip 'back', instead of 'turning' the left hip 'around' - fire it at the inside back corner. Most folks 'spin', and unless you are a hooker with lots of lag, you are over plane, with a seriously open club, and are forced to save the shot with the shoulders - instant slice

It ALL comes back to understanding the whip, understanding LAG and moving your body in a way that 'supports' the swinging 'whip' motion of the club, from the ground up.

Probably the best way to ensure you know the feeling of a firm left side (i.e. not too 'around' - which it seems you do) - is to do left hand only swings, as if you were throwing a frisbee with the left hand, and try to hit hooks out to right field that sweep back to center. Use a slightly strong lead hand grip for this drill, and focus on the left thumb, and its rotation ON plane. Once you understand the feel, I think you will understand the 'around' vs. diagonal hip motion.

You will also understand how easy it is for the right arm to extend through the shot, a new feeling for most because they have been coming 'over' for so long.

Thanks EdZ! I understand what you are saying- when do get too around the shots are erratic and I can feel it before I hit the ball. With the correct movements it feels like the right arm is extending right down into the back corner of the ball. Great info.

This has make me confused for a long time. In Chuck's forum, it was mentioned that for 1) hitter, hip slide diagonally and for 2) swinging, hip slide parallel to the target line. That's I don't understand, at the tip your hip is say 45 degree to the target line, so how can you slide the hip parallel to the target line? Many instructors teach sliding diagonally without distinguish between hitter and swinger, is this correct too?

Dr_J

New
quote:Originally posted by tgmer

This has make me confused for a long time. In Chuck's forum, it was mentioned that for 1) hitter, hip slide diagonally and for 2) swinging, hip slide parallel to the target line. That's I don't understand, at the tip your hip is say 45 degree to the target line, so how can you slide the hip parallel to the target line? Many instructors teach sliding diagonally without distinguish between hitter and swinger, is this correct too?

I would really like an answer for this one as well. It is confusing.

I'll let Brian be the expert but here is my take...when Hitting, the initial hip slide is cross lateral (towards inside aft quandrant). This sets up the axis tilt. After the initial slide, the hips will turn and the feel of the hips could be turning them into the inside quadrant. In Swinging, the initial hip movement is parallel to the target line (setting up axis tilt), proceeded by the hip turn/right hip into the inside quadrant of the ball.

If Hitting, IMO, if the hips would slide parallel to the target line (as you should in swinging), you may be getting ready for the right elbow (for righties) right hip collision on the downswing.

Just remember, when using either the parallel or cross-lateral hip slide, it is a bump of a few inches which sets up the axis tilt. It is a lower body movement while the base of the spine is trying to remain stationary.

Hope this helps!

FL-John

Brian Manzella

Administrator
It is really simple guys and girls....

...listen...

...in HITTING you want force in a straight line from the top through the inside-aft quadrant...sooooooooo the HIPS need to move in that direction from the top...ie CROSS-LINE

....in SWINGING you are PULLING the shaft lengthwise IN A CIRCLE....sooooooooooo you want the hips to return to on line so you can unwind for throw-out action (frisbeeeeeee!)

Could a physical problem with the right hip(pain or poor range of motion) cause the downswing plane to be dispupted?

I've heard Rick Martino describe the importance of the loading of the right hip or glute, and goes into some detail on how and why it is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.