Hitting the Ball with your Pivot

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmyt

New
Brian: How do you hit the Ball with your Pivot

Brian;

Can you or any qualified forum member, explain what hitting the ball with your pivot really means?

Then can you explain further how you do just that!

If you have to recommend a video, I already have NSA and SD1. I have reviewed both videos often and no discussion on "Hitting the ball with your Pivot"

I really do enjoy your insight on the golf swing....I only wish you visited Sin City once in a while, cuz there is not one instructor in this city that has the knowledge of the golf swing you do, can communicate the cure as effectively as you and who could have me hitting the ball better right now.

I will ask one more time. In the 2 years I have been hanging around this site you have never been to Vegas! Planning any visits to Vegas in the near future?

Thanks for the website and video's if I can't see you in person.

Jimmy T

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Jimmyt, very in depth topic. First off, you should view Manzella youtube show on snapping your kinetic chain. Then do a search on this forum for related reading.

Basically, in my view, hitting with your pivot is not just rotating and slamming into the ball with your body. It is the ability for the golfer to use the ground, sequence their swing and use your body to participate in a way that sends energy to your arms at the right time so when you "add" with your trail arm the pivot can assist in power. Snapping your chain, if you will. Many people cant have pivot addition because they are making up for poor sequence or open faces so they make goofy pivots to adjust.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Whoa....that's pretty good Kev!

...hitting with your pivot is not just rotating and slamming into the ball with your body. It is the ability for the golfer to use the ground, sequence their swing and use your body to participate in a way that sends energy to your arms at the right time so when you "add" with your trail arm the pivot can assist in power. Snapping your chain, if you will. Many people cant have pivot addition because they are making up for poor sequence or open faces so they make goofy pivots to adjust.

Here is my simple try at it:

Hitting It With Your Pivot : Using the forward rotation of your body to pull your arms, hands, and club down to the "push point" (the location where the club is vertical to the ground for the last time prior to impact) building up momentum.

At the "push point" the momentum will begin to be increased with the help of the straightening right arm and right wrist, but the forward rotation is still a big part of the build up.

Then from the ground up, the hips accelerate slowing the legs, then the shoulder pick up this speed and accelerate slowing the hips, then the arms accelerate slowing the shoulders, then the hands accelerate slowing the arms, with all the force going into clubhead speed.

Yeah baby!

jimmyt

New
I knew you would get to me eventually

Thanks for the great explanation, also thank you Kevin.

Now the big question HOW to learn my fellow piason.......

Also when the H*** are you coming coming to "Las Vegas"....take your show on the road Baby!!!!:eek:

Here is my simple try at it:

Hitting It With Your Pivot : then the hands accelerate slowing the arms,

Yeah baby!

Hi Brian,

Could you possibly explain this in more detail?....I'm assuming this is pre-impact or impact..
I understand the right hand action (slight release of the wristcock), but not the left hand which remains as a FLW until after impact...
Thanks...

Push Point

Brian,
Good descriptive terminology for one of the pivotal points in the golf swing.:) One of the better explanations of the pivot and it's activity I have heard and it sounds like KS is getting a pretty good understanding of things. Keep on fighting the good fight!
Matt

Thanks for the great explanation, also thank you Kevin.

Now the big question HOW to learn my fellow piason.......

I think it's all a bit subjective because swing "feels" and "thoughts" are subjective.

I use left side connection. At the top of the swing I just make sure to stay connected on the downswing, keeping that upper left arm "glued"/connected to my chest (not moving it down one iota) and just turn the zipper towards my left heel. My left arm and hands *feel* dead at the top of the swing and the thru pivot gets the clubhead in contact with the ball instead of using my arms and hands actively to hit the ball.

Again, subjective feels. Plenty of ways on how to do it. But, that's what has worked for me.

3JACK

Status
Not open for further replies.