Hitting with driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
HK talked about when hitting with a driver you should set up with a the clubface closed because of the fade tendency to angled hinging, does this mean having a Manzella neutral grip and then just turnng your wrists at setup so the face is closed, or actually taking a grip where your wrist alignment are the same at setup, but the clubface is now a little closed? Hope this question makes sense.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Get a driver that has a closed face to it and get fit on a launch monitor. When i went from an angled hinge driving motion to a horizontal hinge driver motion, i couldn't use the same driver anymore cuz the launch conditions changed.

Thanks Jim. I will look into that ( I remember you saying that that is what Furyk has to do). Until then, could you help me with the confusion of my original post, should I be manipulating the club at address or actually changing my grip? Thanks.

Seems to me, if you are trying to set up with a closed clubface, you take the grip with the clubface clsed. Not just turning your neutral grip.

BUT. . .

Jim' statement that the amount of hinging you use affects driver fitting-- this is extremely important. Can someone elaborate?

How did they change Jim....

Get a driver that has a closed face to it and get fit on a launch monitor. When i went from an angled hinge driving motion to a horizontal hinge driver motion, i couldn't use the same driver anymore cuz the launch conditions changed.

Oops, I meant to say in the subject title "how did it (trajectory) change, Jim".

I am hitting the driver higher than ever. Something has changed in my swing. Hitting irons very good, driver is just too high

Jim' statement that the amount of hinging you use affects driver fitting-- this is extremely important. Can someone elaborate?
I believe that Jim is referring to the fact that if you are a "Hitter", you will therefore be using Angled hinging, which by it's nature, produces a fade (this is a simplification, but is accurate). The fade will tend to get more pronounced with the longer clubs with the driver being the most pronounced. One way to offset this tendency of the stroke is to get fitted with a driver that is closed. Hope this helps.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Seems to me, if you are trying to set up with a closed clubface, you take the grip with the clubface clsed. Not just turning your neutral grip.

BUT. . .

The type of hinge action you use effects how the face works through impact. If you are going to angle hinge with a driver, the face will be more open than a horizontal hinge so that means more loft and then that means more launch and then once again, that means more spin (loft = spin).

Now remember, this is all relative. If you don't full roll the club it's considered an angled hinge. So your angled hinge could be slight angle hinge or it could be a BIG angle hinge that is very close to vertical. So depending on how you control the face through impact will definately effect:

clubhead selection
loft
face angle
shaft selection

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Thanks Jim. I will look into that ( I remember you saying that that is what Furyk has to do). Until then, could you help me with the confusion of my original post, should I be manipulating the club at address or actually changing my grip? Thanks.

Try each and see which works more effectively for you, there is no one answer.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Oops, I meant to say in the subject title "how did it (trajectory) change, Jim".

I am hitting the driver higher than ever. Something has changed in my swing. Hitting irons very good, driver is just too high

If i hit a drive with my old driver i will launch it much lower with much less spin because my face isn't so open anymore and i full roll it or as i mentioned above, simply angle hinge it LESS than i used too.

Status
Not open for further replies.