Hogans hook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya I always wondered what the big deal was about........weaker grip later on..............and......??

I'm sure one could pick up a few things if a close comparision was done.........I'm with Leo though........seems about the same deal to me.

btw, there are swings of Hogan POST-ACCIDENT where his club goes way past parallel.

Yes, his swing was tighter. Yes, you can see the adjustments. And yes, to ME, it's still essentially the same swing. To me, real swing change is when you compare Tiger 2000 vs Tiger 2008. Or Hogan 1930's (and early 40's) vs Hogan 1950's.

Yesyes............I'm not so sure of the time periods............

But there is the massively long swing................then the one Brian sells the prints of..............and the 1953 one B-dawg did the analysis of.

I was thinking of the latter 2.

i think a big part of it was learning to control low point. he got to his left side mid way through the backswing and then in the downswing his right arm didn't straighten until well into his follow through position. i also think (and Tiger seems to be working on this) he had a very pronounced downcocking move with his wrists which made the wrists fairly passive while hitting hard and also led to the famous arched wrist position. i think the big one though is getting to the left side very early so he could rotate around a solid base while being sure he would never be behind it and flipping. i think there is heaps in modern fundamentals that isn't given the attention it should. for example, having the arms close together is a great anti-hook move because it gets your right arm forward and in front of you through the ball which is great for low point and ensuring your right wrist remains bent and the right arm not straightening prematurely.

Status
Not open for further replies.