Hogan's Secret-April 2004 Golf Digest

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's up with this article? It mentions that part of Hogan's secret was a cupped left wrist at the top (pgs 211-214). Now I'm really confused.

Brian,

I agree that going from cupped to arched IS Hogan's secret. When done from the top, simultaneously with an axis tilt, and no independent hand or arm effort, doesn't this put you into perfect impact position?

Ben Hogan had many secrets, not just one. On August 8, 1955, in Life Magazine, he revealed a mysterious swing change he made ten years earlier. The seceret involved three mechanical changes: Pronation, The Grip Change, and The Concaved Left Wrist. All were designed to get rid of an uncontrolable hook that almost drove Hogan off the tour.
Did he reveal all his secrets? Golf Digest did a follow up story in March of 1994. Everyone from Byron Nelson, to Sam Snead to Johnny Miller on down the line chimmed in, all with different opinions. After the March 1994 issue, Ben Hogan Co. President & CEO David Hueber did a follow up to the story in May 1994. Hueber said, "For the few that have been told the secret by Hogan himself, each has been sworn to eternal secrecy. I'm not sure everyone was told the same secret. There has been some evolution of the secret over time. Ken Venturi probably came closest in revealing the secret when he said it in his mind."
"Hogan's secret, was that he was just more observant" -Ken Venturi
I have not received the April 2004 Golf Digest. I look forward to reading it; just one more peice of the puzzle to add to the collection.

hue

New
quote:Originally posted by brianman

Hogan's secret was going cupped-to-arched from the top thru impact...

THAT's IT!
Why did Hogan bypass the flat lead wrist and go the arched route? Thanks.

hue

New
Brian: Do you recommend arching lead wrist when playing shots to tight left pin positions or when there is big trouble on the left side of course? Thanks.

hue

New
So do I Brian. I arch the wrist when pitching and chipping from tight lies and when I hit punch shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.