Hooked hybrids

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a new one. Seems as though I've started hooking my hybrids (3H and 4H). These are my 'go-to' clubs, especially when I'm in +/- 3W/5W range. I'd rather lay it in front than spray a 3W who-knows-where. My normal ball flight is a draw.. I'm not good enough or smart enough to try a fade.

Two things happen with frequency..
a. Ball starts down target line (or just slightly left) and the draws left more (~30% of time estimate).. ball flight and distance is sorta OK.. not great, but OK.. or,
b. Ball starts left, very low and goes left very quickly.. ~120 yds (~40% of time) :mad:.
c. What I want or sometimes with a push right ~30%.

I have a strong grip as recommended by both BManz and Kevin. I do have a tendency to *not* turn fully. I've fought that for years as well as a swing too far inside and flat. I also tend to line up slightly right. BManz and Kevin have helped me immensely.

Without seeing my swing (you'll sleep better at night), what would be an obvious place to start?
1. Concentrate on turn, hands outside, right hand on top? [I think I do this more than I give myself credit for.. ball still goes left).
2. Ball position?
3. New hybrids ?:cool:

I often his my hybrids farther left than my irons. Why? I suspect it has to do with the fact that the ball launches higher because the COG is more back and down with hybrids (as opposed to an iron) which allows the ball to carry more and accentuate bad face/path/gear effect at impact. Also, more gear effect with hybrids than irons.

However, when you nail a hybrid the shot often goes farther than a comparable iron and feels great.

As a matter of design, most hybrids on the market will get the ball going left... especially with better swings/players. I've found two heads that excel at keeping the ball from going left, but neither is sold at market. Left and Hybrid are beginning to become synonymous.

especially with better swings/players.

Well, that's one part of the equation we can dismiss. :rolleyes:

When I hit the hybrid, it's really good.. for me.

More open.. I think.

Chipping is a *whole* 'nother issue.. Kevin saw my chipping last week. He's still in therapy. :eek:

Last edited:

hp12c

New
More open.. I think.

Chipping is a *whole* 'nother issue.. Kevin saw my chipping last week. He's still in therapy. :eek:

So Im thinking, u set up open for a bunker shot, meaning feet shoulders and clubhead right? what if you do the same for ur hybrids minus the open clubface? Kevin in therapy from watching ur chipping is funny;)

This is a new one. Seems as though I've started hooking my hybrids (3H and 4H). These are my 'go-to' clubs, especially when I'm in +/- 3W/5W range. I'd rather lay it in front than spray a 3W who-knows-where. My normal ball flight is a draw.. I'm not good enough or smart enough to try a fade.

Two things happen with frequency..
a. Ball starts down target line (or just slightly left) and the draws left more (~30% of time estimate).. ball flight and distance is sorta OK.. not great, but OK.. or,
b. Ball starts left, very low and goes left very quickly.. ~120 yds (~40% of time) :mad:.
c. What I want or sometimes with a push right ~30%.

I have a strong grip as recommended by both BManz and Kevin. I do have a tendency to *not* turn fully. I've fought that for years as well as a swing too far inside and flat. I also tend to line up slightly right. BManz and Kevin have helped me immensely.

Without seeing my swing (you'll sleep better at night), what would be an obvious place to start?
1. Concentrate on turn, hands outside, right hand on top? [I think I do this more than I give myself credit for.. ball still goes left).
2. Ball position?
3. New hybrids ?:cool:

Wow - I could have wrote this exact post. I've always hit my hybids well, but now am more left than Nancy Pelosi. ( And I generally do not hit anything left - including Nancy Pelosi! ) With just about the same percentages that you listed. Can't wait for all the responses.

bcoak

New
check the lie angle. I believe they tend to be flatter than iron equivalents which can lead to hooks. Wishon has some heads you can bend for lie

fwiw, I have the same problem and it goes up to driver. I also employ a strongish grip. I find I need to OPEN up the face more on the backswing so I can close that sucker on the way down. I don't feel the need to do this with the shorter clubs however. I would try getting the left thumb under the shaft a bit more at the top. It worked for me but I am the last one who should be giving advice.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Regardless of a hybrids lie angle, they are much more DRAW BIASED than an iron. Find a more neutral one. adams or titleist tend to be really good. I'm a fan of the 910H

bcoak opined, "check the lie angle. I believe they tend to be flatter than iron equivalents which can lead to hooks. Wishon has some heads you can bend for lie."

Hybrids are typically longer than their iron equivalent, and thus they are designed with a flatter lie angle. Wouldn't you think that is correct? Also in the long irons, the lie angle is not as influential as it is in the shorter irons. Finally, too flat, or too upright is only true relative a specific golfer. Great reason to get fit.

I agree with Jim. Currently have the Titleist 910H 19 degree with the adjustable hosel. As is typical for Titleist, face is 0.5 deg. open.

Status
Not open for further replies.