"Hot Touch" Putting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just viewed Bobby Schaeffer's "Hot Touch" putting video. I've never been much of a left-hand low guy when it comes to putting, but this is a different approach than I've tried in the past. I've been fortunate (lucky?) to maintain a handicap that hovers around zero despite being a mediocre putter. In large part it's due to good ball-striking that's gotten better with the application of TGM (and thanks to the likes of BD, BM, LB, and the forums).

I can count the good putting rounds I have in a season and in order to get to the "next level" I know I have to change that. I'm thinking of giving this particular style of putting a go in 2006 and want to start working it now. A couple of questions - has anyone tried this approach to left hand low putting? Your results? It looks like you'd want to use a "longer than normal" putter grip based on the way the left-hand is placed on the putter. Does anyone make that type of longer grip or do you just use a belly putter grip?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Robbo...i know the secret of putting. Get a plane laser, draw a straight line on the ground somewhere. Now, DO WHATEVER IT TAKES (grip, stance, stroke, whatever) to trace that line on the ground with the sweetspot of the putter EVERY SINGLE TIME! There's no excuse why you can't because the putting stroke is so short.

Once you can do that, the ball will start where ever you have it aimed and then....it's just speed and how much break you want to play.

Merry Xmas

quote:Originally posted by jim_0068

Robbo...i know the secret of putting. Get a plane laser, draw a straight line on the ground somewhere. Now, DO WHATEVER IT TAKES (grip, stance, stroke, whatever) to trace that line on the ground with the sweetspot of the putter EVERY SINGLE TIME! There's no excuse why you can't because the putting stroke is so short.

Once you can do that, the ball will start where ever you have it aimed and then....it's just speed and how much break you want to play.

Merry Xmas

What about Clubface control?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Unless you have a putter that is SPECIFICALLY setup for a vertical hinge straight back straight through stroke, the "machine" will default to using angled hinging.

No other hinge should be used in my opinion.

Hands move straight back and straight though, face barely opens and barely closes (angled hinge) and sweetspot traces the plane line.

Steve Khatib

Super Moderator
I teach putting using Ben Doyle's mat this gives me the best results: ball takes off on line of flight black line , shaft remains on plane line green line, face swivels on red line. VJ Trolio's putting arc is also very very good.

Robbo...i know the secret of putting. Get a plane laser,

Merry Xmas

Jim,

my recent experience leans towards firmly agreeing with your post.

would you please expand on exactly on how you use a plane laser, such as:

how u attach it to the putter

where u attach it

where do u point the laser beam

any other points u have time to document :)

Chris

quote:Originally posted by cjgolf

Robbo...i know the secret of putting. Get a plane laser,

Merry Xmas

Jim,

my recent experience leans towards firmly agreeing with your post.

would you please expand on exactly on how you use a plane laser, such as:

how u attach it to the putter

where u attache it

where do u point the laser beam

any other points u have time to document :)

Chris

Yes, please do. I also am interested. I have a laser level that is giving a straight line along practice putting green and am trying to find a little laser pointer.

Thanks,

Rob

jeffy

Banned
Read Brian's article, http://www.manzellagolfforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=469, use a plane board or a putting arc and a striped ball to groove your new stroke. Set the stripe along the target line and develop a stroke that never makes the stripe wobble. When you practice "feel", use only one ball, putt from medium to long distances on every kind of slope, and always putt out. On judging distance, as Homer says in chapter 14, just program the "computer", then stroke it without any conscious "hit". You'll be amazed by the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.