How about only three laws?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Thats just about all I look at these days.

1. Is the person creating speed, or snap, correctly
2. Path/Face or Dplane
3. Centerness of contact

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
really for me, it's only 2 questions:

1) Is the ball going in the general direction you want as often as you want for your skill level?

2) Is the ball going the distance you think it should based on your swing speed, loft, and particular clubhead design?

------------

That's it really, the better i can get a student close the word "yes" to both questions i tell them to go work on their short game. I have been teaching like this for about the last 2 years. You could look like Charles Barkely for all i care, if you can give me a "yes" and a "so-so" works for me :)

Thought so, Kevin, thanks.

So, let me get this straight. Ultimately, the laws you guys are talking about are: (1)snapping a kinetic chain to achieve speed, and (2) obtaining a proper D plane.

Mmmm... Where have I heard this before?

3 laws......need to hard wire em in like the move I ROBOT. lol Seriously with reading this site & Richies blog really opened my eyes for ball striking. Short game copied BMs short game video (pga site) to study ........gotta major snow storm coming to MN! Laugh all you want, going to Disney World feb15-19.....time to put knowledge to use and break par from back tees(or tease it )!
JeffS

westy

New
Thanks

Thats just about all I look at these days.

1. Is the person creating speed, or snap, correctly
2. Path/Face or Dplane
3. Centerness of contact

1. Speed. Control (simple) and Maximal output (governed by a golfers limitations and ability to create leverage and timing).
2. Understand D-plane and its consequence. (not dead simple and not understood)
3. Centeredness = Impact tape. (simple).

So now, now the light is illuminated for #2.........my next question is how much of the game is really mental for people who dont get it (D plane)..? Does all the viz and positivity and focus and stuff matter, should all your effort not just all be pointed at that until you can say yes to Jims #1 Question? Shouldnt most people just be all about nailing down the D...?
Because you can learn to select your speed.
And if you can let it happen you will hit it in the middle.....
Is a clear understanding of #2 not the gateway for 99% of golfers?
:confused:

westy

New
3 laws......need to hard wire em in like the move I ROBOT. lol Seriously with reading this site & Richies blog really opened my eyes for ball striking. Short game copied BMs short game video (pga site) to study ........gotta major snow storm coming to MN! Laugh all you want, going to Disney World feb15-19.....time to put knowledge to use and break par from back tees(or tease it )!
JeffS

Speed control is hard wired. Maximal is genetic.
:)
Centeredness is a natural ability too. mostly. And technique and practice.
:p
But D-plane is understanding.
:cool:

When it comes to "mastering the law of the D plane," it reminds me of the old Woody Allen line when he talked about how he took a speed reading class and read "War and Peace." "It's about Russia" he said.

Getting the D Plane right is a lifetime pursuit filled with nuance and intrigue. Would we have it any other way?

westy

New
Can a player change an aspect of their "centeredness" without changing one of the D plane vectors?

No. If I understand the question correctly. Centeredness has an orientation (between the COG of the ball and the COG of the club), the d plane is just an extension of this. So off center hits cause face twisting, altering the resulting D plane from what got delivered to what it actually looked like when the ball left.
If you change an aspect of centeredness, you are changing the D-plane.
Maybe there is only two laws...

1. Speed
2. D Plane at separation.
:eek:

So we have, "No. If I understand the question correctly. Centeredness has an orientation (between the COG of the ball and the COG of the club), the d plane is just an extension of this. So off center hits cause face twisting, altering the resulting D plane from what got delivered to what it actually looked like when the ball left.
If you change an aspect of centeredness, you are changing the D-plane.
Maybe there is only two laws...

1. Speed
2. D Plane at separation."

The thought that comes to my mind is Sheldon on The Big Bang Theory. If you watch the show, you will get it.

Then we have Jim who says, "really for me, it's only 2 questions:

1) Is the ball going in the general direction you want as often as you want for your skill level?

2) Is the ball going the distance you think it should based on your swing speed, loft, and particular clubhead design?

------------

That's it really, the better i can get a student close the word "yes" to both questions i tell them to go work on their short game. I have been teaching like this for about the last 2 years. You could look like Charles Barkely for all i care, if you can give me a "yes" and a "so-so" works for me "

Jim's is an absolute Gem. It's real world practical. The other? Not so much.

westy

New
Shhhheldonn.....!

Not trying to be pedantic.
Just looking to know.
I do real world too...but this is the best spot in the world for answers.
Demanding something complex be kept simple..... etc
Merry Xmas Homer.

Use your Pivot to snap your Kinetic Chain, and to assist your arms, hands and club with creating the proper "D" Plane for the selected shot.

Everything else is show biz!

Status
Not open for further replies.