How are these related: hands ahead, downward strike, angle of attack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbl

New
So just what are the independent variables?

Consider....
Can you have hands ahead and yet zero aoa?

Can you have hands ahead and upward strike...perhaps with a flip or whiff? Or by tilting one's axis a ton?

If ball is at the low point, then a strike which otherwise was "going to be downward" (if ball had been back a smidge) will have zero aoa, right?

For a normal tour iron shot with normal tour angle of attack (perhaps 4 to 5 degrees down), what is the launch angle for a 32 degree 6 Iron? If it's like 20 degrees, then there would be about 6 degrees of forward shaft lean..right?

Sorry for the questions, I just haven't fully looked at this part about impact much yet. I'm sure a couple of pointers on what makes up these vectors will straighten me out.

So just what are the independent variables? The Face and the Path!!!!

Consider....
Can you have hands ahead and yet zero aoa? Heck yes, see above

Can you have hands ahead and upward strike...perhaps with a flip or whiff? Or by tilting one's axis a ton? Yes. Or any goofy movement of your arms, etc.

If ball is at the low point, then a strike which otherwise was "going to be downward" (if ball had been back a smidge) will have zero aoa, right? Not sure what this means. The path has a low point. The ball gets in the way of a downward, level, or upward path.

For a normal tour iron shot with normal tour angle of attack (perhaps 4 to 5 degrees down), what is the launch angle for a 32 degree 6 Iron? If it's like 20 degrees, then there would be about 6 degrees of forward shaft lean..right?

Let's rearrange your question so that the shaft lean is a given, and launch angle is estimated. OK?

Spin Loft = Face - Path

The Face would be 32 static - 6 lean or 26 degrees.

The Path is 4 down.

So the difference is 30 degrees of Spin Loft.

Assume the 75/25 ratio for a mid-iron.

Take 25% of 30. Get 7.5.

Subtract 7.5 from the face. Get 18.5.

The ball will launch at about 18.5 degrees.

Sorry for the questions, I just haven't fully looked at this part about impact much yet. I'm sure a couple of pointers on what makes up these vectors will straighten me out.

Last edited:

dbl

New
Alrighty, thanks for the clarifications! That last example probably makes more clear to me what I was wanting to "see."

Been wanting to work on both hands ahead and angle of attack, and sounds like they are both independent so can be adjusted (somewhat :)) to achieve the launch angle desired.

Status
Not open for further replies.