How do tour pros finish like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Often times when you see a pro hit an iron shot, they'll finish like it was half swing, yet they'll fly an 8 iron 180 yds. If I were trying to get my 8 iron to go even 150 yds my finish wouldn't look like that. What's stopping the clubhead enough that they can control the finish like they do, yet hit it ridiculous distances? I've heard that the clubhead should reach it peak velocity right after contact (I'm assuming that's without the ball there?) and if that's the case, and the clubhead is traveling at it's peak velocity, where does all that force go? Into the ground and ball? And what does the fact that I can't control my club like that say about my swing besides that I'm probably swinging too hard?

"And what does the fact that I can't control my club like that say about my swing besides that I'm probably swinging too hard?"

Pro finishes vary. 8 iron 180. Sure some of them can do it, but that is not a stock 8 iron for most Pro's. Look up some Pro distance through the bag stats.

8 iron 180. Hit it with enough shaft lean and you turn it into a 6 iron. Hit it exactly in the sweetspot versus us normal run of the mill golfers and you pick up some yards.

Personally, I think you should question your focus on maximizing distance. If you could hit your 8 iron 180, what have you gained? You need accuracy and predictable yardage gaps through your set. I hit my current iron with an 8 on the bottom, 150, choke down or ease up 140. 25 years ago I hit my 8 iron 140, but the loft was slightly higher and the shaft was 1/2" shorter. Doesn't matter. I just want to know how far I hit each club.

in addn to what soft said,,,there is the issue of how efficiently and accurately you "hit" the ball. 2 people having the same swing speed means not much if one has much better contact and angle of attack, etc.

there is a tradeoff between "finishing your backswing" and "swinging too far therefore losing control." it is a fine line for each individual.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out how they can generate so much clubhead speed and yet control it and how I can I apply any of that to my swing.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out how they can generate so much clubhead speed and yet control it and how I can I apply any of that to my swing.

I would imagine one thing they do is expend most of their energy at the bottom, or shortly after. So, the follow through for most of them is "winding down" to a finish, and not continually tugging the crap out of the club like most of us hacks. So, when they want to "cut off" a follow through, it's probably a lot easier for them to do so.

Swing speed is relative. Dustin and Bubba both have said that they may swing all out a couple of times a tournament. And they're still swinging in the 120's.

What I'm saying is that they can control it because it's a controllable speed for them; where I may need to max out to hit a 6 iron 190 or 200, it's a stock controlled six for one of those guys, because their top end speed is that much higher than mine.

Personal example: I hit a 3/4 smooth wedge about 110. Someone who's max wedge is 110 won't be able to end up with a 3/4 finish from that yardage with that club, because it's an all out swing for them. For me, an all out wedge is 150 or so, so the speed required for a wedge of 110 is comfortable and manageable.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Will, I am not so sure I am with you on Bubba and DJ. Their minimums and maximums on their radar stats at pgatour.com are fairly close.

They may think they get after it a bit more a couple times a tournament, but the numbers show they really go at it, pretty much every time they swing.

lia41985

Will, I am not so sure I am with you on Bubba and DJ. Their minimums and maximums on their radar stats at pgatour.com are fairly close.

They may think they get after it a bit more a couple times a tournament, but the numbers show they really go at it, pretty much every time they swing.
Could you please post a link to those statistics? Thanks!

Johnny Miller wrote something very similar (but without the benefit of radar stats) about watching his contemporaries in long drive exhibitions. Basically, everyone's long drive maxed-out swing looked pretty much the same as their on the course trying to post a score swing.

Not sure if this is the same place Wil heard it but during the Wendy's event TGC featured DJ and Bubba on The Golf Fix with Butch Harmon. He talked to them about power while they hit some drives. They told Butch they only go at it 100% a couple times per tourney.

I was thinking more along the lines of iron swings when I posted this, as the OP was talking about 3/4 finishes. My comment about DJ and Bubba was just to make the point that, by their own admission, they aren't swinging all out all of the time to achieve those yardages (and I'm guessing they're swinging all out even less with their irons).

Are those radar numbers for every hole, or just the driving distance holes?

Cool link, btw. I forgot all of that info was there.

Not sure if this is the same place Wil heard it but during the Wendy's event TGC featured DJ and Bubba on The Golf Fix with Butch Harmon. He talked to them about power while they hit some drives. They told Butch they only go at it 100% a couple times per tourney.

Yeah, that's exactly where I heard it.

I think you really need to also look at the fact that many modern pros grew up in the "image conscious" swing era. They learned swings through posed positions, and were told to "hold the finish" and "make it pretty" by a lot of instructors. As such, there are a lot of false finishes out there on tour, especially among players trying to force a shot shape by forcing themselves into a finish. This teaching practice is still prevalent, especially among junior players who you see holding their full finish all the way till the ball lands (kind of pretentious if you ask me...).

However, if you watch some of the older players (and especially if you watch vintage golf), you will notice much less of this action. Many swing all the way to the finish and recoil into a rest position. Nicklaus, Hogan, Snead, Nelson... etc. In the modern era, some players still do the recoil action.

I firmly believe trying to manufacture a finish is a sign that you are trying to overcontrol the club outside of where the rest of your swing is placing it (ie... you're fighting yourself). I think for the average player (myself included), trying to force a finish is dangerous unless you know what you are working on and why that finish shape will fit with the rest of your swing to produce a shot shape (ie... the "one last point" from brian's soft draw pattern).

That being said, when you make an easy 3/4 swing and hit it flush, ... not exactly that hard to pose whatever kooky finish you want. The question becomes though...

Does it make the ball go in the hole any sooner?

Last edited:

ej20

New
It's hard to know how hard touring pros swing in game mode but Bubba has been as high as 136mph in 2007.That's probably around his ceiling.

I would venture to guess though that most handicap players employ their "ceiling" swing 100% of the time.Not getting it out there at least 260 just aint on.Who cares about the score.

Bubba is the perfect example of what baffles me. Is he trying to finish like this for whatever reason or is it a by-product of great mechanics?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-8Er2w3Gkk&NR=1[/media]

If you flip the club you will tend to have a longer followthrough, tour pros usually don't flip so their followthroughs should be shorter particularly with irons, not so much the case with woods because the swing speed is higher.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.