How good a player should a pro be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bray

New
Bill,

You said: "Doesn't it make sense that to be a good instructor, one should have been to the top of the mountain? Mac O'Grady thought that instructors should have to wear their scores on their sleeves and their left-handed scores on the other. Not bad.
What do you think?"

I think a good instructor has to be a good student first. Look at Mac, does he use only one model or pattern??

No, he has a strong desire to learn, and because of that he has mastered many patterns.
How did Mac get all his information, he had to research and learn it. Does this take time to learn?? Yes, and it also takes experimentation with your own swing.
Can experimenting affect your playing?? Oh yes signifigantly.
So...Should a teacher be able to play well??
Yes, he should also be able to demonstrate what he's teaching.

But ultimately...I would rather be judged as a teacher by my desire to learn than my playing ability, because I can become a good player by learning only one pattern.

A good teacher should know how to teach anyone a pattern that fits them.

Sorting through the instructor's textbook.

B-Ray

bray

New
Bill,

You said: "Butch Harmon must be able to do that. Has anyone out there ever heard him give any real insight?"

Butch Harmon did teach the Number 1 player in the world and he did get him to win four majors in a row. We as the public do not know how instrumental he was in those wins, but he must be able to teach something.

Sorting through the duffer's bible.

B-Ray

the ability to communicate, to allow the student to express its desire for an outcome and the instructor to adapt and make positive improvements and provide appropriate motivation toward that outcome.

Magic Johnson was clearly a talented basketball player, but failed miserably to rally his troops as a coach. Bill Walsh was an average athlete who inspired the niners to great successes.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
quote:Originally posted by tourdeep

the ability to communicate, to allow the student to express its desire for an outcome and the instructor to adapt and make positive improvements and provide appropriate motivation toward that outcome.

Magic Johnson was clearly a talented basketball player, but failed miserably to rally his troops as a coach. Bill Walsh was an average athlete who inspired the niners to great successes.

Probably the best first post ever...

Welcome aboard Tour Deep!

jeffy

Banned
I'd want my primary teacher to know something about competitive golf and have some kind of playing credentials. Doesn't have to be a Hall of Famer, even though I go to one.

quote:Originally posted by billmckinneygolf

First, I'll answer Craig: we teach how to make a really strong pivot and do lots of drills to help educate the hands.

What kind of drills do you do to help educate the hands?

Bono

New
quote:Originally posted by billmckinneygolf

I know there are some of you out there who really know The Golfing Machine. I respect that a lot. But does that really qualify someone to give lessons? The PGA logo shouldn't really qualify someone either, but they do have a Player's Ability Test.
Doesn't it make sense that to be a good instructor, one should have been to the top of the mountain? Mac O'Grady thought that instructors should have to wear their scores on their sleeves and their left-handed scores on the other. Not bad.
What do you think?

I started golfing in 95. Really took it up around 97. Lowest handicap was a 4-5.

I feel like I know the book pretty well, but also feel that an instructor should be able to demonstrate what he teaches.

My teacher was Wayne DeFrancesco. I saw him because of both his playing and teaching ability.

I had a basketball coach try to teach me free throws when I was almost 80%. I asked him to demonstrate...brick. Brick. Brick.

:)

I think it's a huge advantage to master and at some point in time be able to perform flawlessly any golfing mechanics issue you are trying to teach someone. NOT for the reason that you could SHOW someone the correct motion, either.

I don't think it's an issue of being able to show the moves as much as feeling what's ACTUALLY happening when you do them properly.

It's all about knowing REACTION from ACTION. Is it happening, or are you trying to make it happen? What does it feel like when you do it just right?

More good input, gentlemen. And why aren't there any girl golf nuts in here?
To answer Tongzilla about educated hands drills..I'll just say we've taken
Ben Doyle's bunker stuff a step further.
And to answer Craig...iseek school? Puh-leeze. Bobby Schaeffer is amazingly funny and energetic and Gregg McHatton is like a spiritual healer (except it works). Steve knows the book like he's autistic or something. And me? Well, get my videos.

Bill thanks, I have since heard about the position golf that they teach? Bobby is amazing I remember playing with him and the 320 meter drive he hit at National with a Trevino pattern. I told all of my friends that they must see him, they are all keen to learn also! Can I buy your dvd's at the seminar? I want you to get Bobby to post here. If he wont post say hi to him from Miriam and I- tell him we just got engaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.