How I made Soft Draw work for me AKA Evolution of a golf swing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My standard disclaimer, I'm not an expert just a high school golf coach that loves to play the game.

I've been working on the soft draw pattern for several weeks and just haven't been able to make it work. I was working to hard at trying to make the ball draw. I'm not sure when the light bulb came on but I finally realized that a draw isn't the ball flight that my brain sees before I hit the ball.

When I first started playing golf I read a lot about Jack and that he hit a fade. I decided that was what I wanted to do so I learned how to hit a fade, really a slice in my early days, on every shot. I few years ago I decided to get rid of my slice with never slice again. After that I learned to hit a draw because that was what all the good players at my club hit. Then I started hitting a flip hook after I decided I needed more distance.

That basically brings my swing to now. I wanted to get rid of the flip/snap hook and just hit a ball that was mostly straight. I just couldn't seem to make soft draw work for me. That flip hook would always creep back in.

So I went back and watched soft draw for the umpteenth time. I had heard Brian say it a dozen times or more but my brain skipped over it every time till this time. He stated that Jack's swing was a softdraw swing but he learned to hit a fade with it.

So that's what I did. I went to the range and learned to hit a fade with soft draw 1.0. Just thinking about hitting a fade with that swing freed up my swing and my mind. I started hitting shots that didn't really fade but just refused to go left. I felt like there was a wall behind me that went all the way to the target. Step, step, ball go there. To easy.

I know that this isn't a band-aid or temporary swing thought fix. This is a swing that will stick. I know this because I wasn't able to hit a ball for over week. I went back to the range and picked up right where I left off. I don't hit every ball perfect but it is so much easier and stress free than it was. I know that 99.9 balls out of 102 are not going to go left.

Thanks Brian and everyone else that contributes to this forum. It may take some of us a while for it to sink in but eventually it does.

My standard disclaimer, I'm not an expert just a high school golf coach that loves to play the game.

I've been working on the soft draw pattern for several weeks and just haven't been able to make it work. I was working to hard at trying to make the ball draw. I'm not sure when the light bulb came on but I finally realized that a draw isn't the ball flight that my brain sees before I hit the ball.

When I first started playing golf I read a lot about Jack and that he hit a fade. I decided that was what I wanted to do so I learned how to hit a fade, really a slice in my early days, on every shot. I few years ago I decided to get rid of my slice with never slice again. After that I learned to hit a draw because that was what all the good players at my club hit. Then I started hitting a flip hook after I decided I needed more distance.

That basically brings my swing to now. I wanted to get rid of the flip/snap hook and just hit a ball that was mostly straight. I just couldn't seem to make soft draw work for me. That flip hook would always creep back in.

So I went back and watched soft draw for the umpteenth time. I had heard Brian say it a dozen times or more but my brain skipped over it every time till this time. He stated that Jack's swing was a softdraw swing but he learned to hit a fade with it.

So that's what I did. I went to the range and learned to hit a fade with soft draw 1.0. Just thinking about hitting a fade with that swing freed up my swing and my mind. I started hitting shots that didn't really fade but just refused to go left. I felt like there was a wall behind me that went all the way to the target. Step, step, ball go there. To easy.

I know that this isn't a band-aid or temporary swing thought fix. This is a swing that will stick. I know this because I wasn't able to hit a ball for over week. I went back to the range and picked up right where I left off. I don't hit every ball perfect but it is so much easier and stress free than it was. I know that 99.9 balls out of 102 are not going to go left.

Thanks Brian and everyone else that contributes to this forum. It may take some of us a while for it to sink in but eventually it does.

Always nice to hear success stories, especially when it's along the same lines of what I'm working on. I'm using a SD backswing with some carry to hit a pretty straight shot that just falls right. I love it, it's the way I played when I was in high school/college, though I was doing it differently then (honestly didn't know what I did back then, that's why it disappeared when I didn't have as much time to practice). Good stuff:D

HONEYMOON!......ah, just kidding. That's good stuff even with my eternal skepticism.

I hope it's not a honeymoon period but I'm so comfortable with this swing that I don't think I'm going to "grow" out of it. The real test will be playing under pressure with it which I haven't had a chance to do yet.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
just one caution:

Since you know you can play well with it and it is working for you, don't change it; even when it "goes bad." The reality is that you hit it really well using whatever you are doing now so that means if it doesn't work in the future then it is YOU doing something wrong.

Also take some time and write down all your feels and setup notes so that when it does go bad in the future you have something to reference back to when you were hitting it great.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Great to hear of your recent success, Coach!

The Soft Draw pattern is going to stand the test of time. In my notes for the next version of the SD video, there isn't a whole lot.

And, of course, you can fade it with Never Slice Again as well!

Interested. I guess grip change and or less twist will give the open face, but what adjustments would you make to tweak the path left (or is it as simple as just aiming more left)?

You could just open your stance to the face until the path is left enough for the ball to fade. Or you could do it by swinging a bit differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.