How important is Angle of Attack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Path could be zero, face could be zero.

What would say a difference of 3 degrees down versus 7 degrees down have on the golf ball. I hear about AoA in relation to the driver and distance but wonder how much it impact what the ball does after contact.

Is it more, less, or equal in relation to path/face?

Greg,

I hate to say this, but I have to put you in the class with Lloyd Higley and the others. You post on Jeff Martin's site - therefore you get no answers. You are guilty by association.

I'm not sure I even understand the question. Are you talking about with a driver, or just in general? Are you talking about its importance vs. path and face? If so, you don't have a "path" without AoA, you just have an overall swing direction.

Greg,

I hate to say this, but I have to put you in the class with Lloyd Higley and the others. You post on Jeff Martin's site - therefore you get no answers. You are guilty by association.

Well, I don't think Greg wears the number of hats that Lloyd does. Lloyd joins in with the mocking tone at Jeffy's site and then zips over to Facebook and tries to act neutral. Kinda tiresome.

Path could be zero, face could be zero.

What would say a difference of 3 degrees down versus 7 degrees down have on the golf ball. I hear about AoA in relation to the driver and distance but wonder how much it impact what the ball does after contact.

Is it more, less, or equal in relation to path/face?

Greg, to have a better understanding, you don't even have to separate the vertical from the horizontal. In 3D, it is just a face plane moving a certain direction, and the differential between the two. You can figure out the rest.

Angle of Attack is THE most important of the four D-Plane numbers.

Interesting as it seems to be the least discussed.

I conducted a personal experiment at the range and was really shocked at the results, I have no fancy machine so my guess was I someone how manipulated the AoA.

I took the strongest grip possible and tried to make swings that felt like they would be hard draws or hooks, I fight a pull hook with a nominal strong grip. The shots with this experiment where high very soft baby draws with a 7 iron. No hooks and no pulls. Only thing I can think of is trying to hit a hook shallowed out the AoA. Its something I never tried before and the results where surprising.

Greg,

Understand, happens at other sites from posting at Lynns, Richies, Jeff Manns. To each his own I say.

I dont know Lloyd though.

A positive AoA vs, Negative AoA given the same launch angle will have a drastic impact on backspin. Positive AoA to achieve a certain launch angle will result in greater distance, all else equal.

This is related to spin loft.

I'd like to know why/how the ball can start left and not hook much with an really inside path. Doesn't fit into the d plane model really.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
If the hit is reasonably in the sweetspot, it is a high rate of closure that skews the path of the POINT OF IMPACT on the face left of the path of the club's COM.

So, does it matter where the COM is going at all then? The masses;) haven't sussed the significance of this yet by the look of things. This could be the biggest thing since launch monitors were invented and the make or break of TM's market lead, right?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Yes Brian....yes.

Especially when tied to the Dynamic Loft.

You see folks, any yahoo can get the Dynamic Loft "tour" by handle-dragging. But the AoA will kick you in the butt unless you JUMP like a big dog and go normal.

Yes Brian....yes.

Especially when tied to the Dynamic Loft.

You see folks, any yahoo can get the Dynamic Loft "tour" by handle-dragging. But the AoA will kick you in the butt unless you JUMP like a big dog and go normal.

Brian,
So you're saying that someone like Tommy Gainey requires more jump and normal force to shallow the path than someone with more of a throw release?

Status
Not open for further replies.