How many "makes" really are there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggsjpc

New
I read magazine articles and watch golf instruction on TV at times and I keep hearing that this "makes" this happen.

Aside from the D-plane alignments, are there any real "makes" in a golf swing? I have a hard time picturing a situation where the golfer doesn't have the option to try and compensate. They may not always be successful but sometimes they are.

For example, opening the clubface "makes" the ball slice. Baloney! to quote Brian.

Are there any real "makes"?

I've got just one for you....:D

At the top of your backswing (or maybe even just before), trying to raise your right heel while the weight is still on it (and while bending the right knee) AND at the same time keeping your swing center stable, automatically transfers weight to your left side (and at the same time drops your arms "into the slot")....

I was thinking about the very same thing today.

"All else being equal" I think is a good way to think about it.

Certain things (what the golfer does with their body) tend (more) toward to certain club alignments no doot.

But then there is ballflight. And what the particular golfer needs to do to get it.

All else being equal people generally will tend to hit it lower if they put a bunch of weight on their left leg.

They can still try to hit a high shot from there, getting the added loft with the hands and/or axis tilt and/or falling back in the downswing. Shaft lean is measured the same whatever their body is doing but they may still tend to hit it lowER than with the weight less forward.

I presume individual 'tendencies' (different than faults i.e. slicer) can come into play also.

Just thinking aloud and too dull right now to do any more. (must get ass to bed)

People with more experience will probably know more and have better examples.

Last edited:
All else being equal people generally will tend to hit it lower if they put a bunch of weight on their left leg.

Not sure that is the case birdie, but perhaps if it makes the swing center stay more forward than normal....

High and low are more about swing center and set up, yes?....

Keeping weight on the left side and transferring weight are different....

Last edited:

ggsjpc

New
The reason I brought this topic up was to help people understand that there aren't magic moves that make your swing good. It is a combination of things that under the trained eye of someone like Brian create the complex movements necessary for a good impact.

Whoops. Didn't understand. It seems like I could do what you mentioned and keep weight on my toes of my right foot(if I tried to).

Ah, but you have to "try to"...if you let your body react naturally (as in walking) the weight will shift...:)

The reason I brought this topic up was to help people understand that there aren't magic moves that make your swing good. It is a combination of things that under the trained eye of someone like Brian create the complex movements necessary for a good impact.

Absolutely. Customization. There are a set of magic moves out there, but finding that set for each individual is the key.

ggsjpc

New
Ah, but you have to "try to"...if you let your body react naturally (as in walking) the weight will shift...:)

I need to chew on this one for a while. React naturally is a strange phrase usually used by people who already know how to do something very well.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I would also like to add that your brain will "make" you do things that you aren't aware of because you are trying to hit the ball a certain way; or at least try to.

I need to chew on this one for a while. React naturally is a strange phrase usually used by people who already know how to do something very well.

Yes, I know how to walk very well, been doing it for years....:D

Seriously, raising the heel is generally the body's signal to put the weight on the other foot.....

Last edited:
Not sure that is the case birdie, but perhaps if it makes the swing center stay more forward than normal....

High and low are more about swing center and set up, yes?....

Keeping weight on the left side and transferring weight are different....

Tennnnnds, puttmad.

I can hit it diff trajectories from anywhere (esp. if intended, of course...i.e. misses aside) with some in-swing adjustment.

I realize it's about centers of rotation, axis tilt, etc. and how that relates to loft. Not sure exactly what you get at with your last line, puttmad.

-P

Status
Not open for further replies.