How many of you are in this boat..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, evaluating my swing with some recent concepts from here.. it looks very much like I need to steepen the swing plane.

Thinking about why it became horizontal I came up with this.

The need to have a downward strike, tons of forward lean (lag!) and a divot that started way after the ball led me to develop a path that went down (and out) for too long. I expect a steeper swing would have led to a HUGE divot when coupled with this. So naturally it got more horizontal over time. Another aside to this is when looking for a more vertical hand path, tumble and all that good stuff, the 'flatness' of the swing seems to work against me to some degree, so hands move out to the ball more than they should too.

You might expect this to be a total mess when it comes to direction but actually I think because of the shallow attack angle (and minimum downward strike) it isn't too bad. Just as long as I can avoid thinning the shot :)

Ironically, it almost seems like I have to feel like I 'flip', 'cast' and 'come over the top' a little more to hit it better :cool:

So, on the assumption that I'm right about this, how common do you guys think this is now? With every other video on the web talking about forward lean, hitting the inside back of the ball, lag, etc.. I gotta think this is quite prevalent?
You guys expect to be fixing this on the lesson tees for the next few years?

i stopped thinking about technical stuff. Everything should be just based on the ball flight. If you feel flippy but makes ball straight, don't worry about it too much, otherwise you will just be digging the rabbit hole.

So, evaluating my swing with some recent concepts from here.. it looks very much like I need to steepen the swing plane.

Thinking about why it became horizontal I came up with this.

The need to have a downward strike, tons of forward lean (lag!) and a divot that started way after the ball led me to develop a path that went down (and out) for too long. I expect a steeper swing would have led to a HUGE divot when coupled with this. So naturally it got more horizontal over time. Another aside to this is when looking for a more vertical hand path, tumble and all that good stuff, the 'flatness' of the swing seems to work against me to some degree, so hands move out to the ball more than they should too.

You might expect this to be a total mess when it comes to direction but actually I think because of the shallow attack angle (and minimum downward strike) it isn't too bad. Just as long as I can avoid thinning the shot :)

Ironically, it almost seems like I have to feel like I 'flip', 'cast' and 'come over the top' a little more to hit it better :cool:

So, on the assumption that I'm right about this, how common do you guys think this is now? With every other video on the web talking about forward lean, hitting the inside back of the ball, lag, etc.. I gotta think this is quite prevalent?
You guys expect to be fixing this on the lesson tees for the next few years?

Yes, I am in the same boat. Taking a less direct route to the ball does seem like casting Jacobs talks about that in the 2nd video. I've been struggling too, but when it's done right the ball goes a mile and you feel nothing in your right hand. I know we are on the right track here. Doesn't it feel good to at least have some idea of how tour pros create power with no forward pressure on the shaft at impact? Rather than have some instructor have you wack into an impact bag for a half hour? It doesn't happen every time, but after some of the shots I've hit lately this has to be right.

I'm not sure thinking of swinging a little steeper is all that technical...

What I was getting at is how I have developed quite a flat swing and I *think* it might be down to the whole lag & forward lean thing. Now, its almost too flat to properly perform the 'new release'.

Just thought it quite ironic that.. a) That being the correct reason, I am probably not alone.. and b) The fix for this feels like all the things I was supposed to never do, according to more than a few people (i.e. need the feeling of casting, flipping and coming over the top!).

That 'internet junk swing' thread comes to mind.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.