How much shorter do range balls go than my Titleists?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know an answer to this for sure?? Thanks.

Back in June the local range I visit often allowed me to hit some range balls versus TaylorMade TP Blacks, while they did some lawn maintenance. I marked ten of each and hit 8 irons. Eight of the range balls and nine of the TMs were struck solidly. There was a faint tailwind. The average for the range balls was 148 (via GPS, SD was about 4). The TPs averaged 155 with a SD of 5. The same was done with 20 range balls and TPs with the driver. Fifteen drivers and 14 TPs were solidly struck. The range balls averaged 266 with a SD of 10, the TPs averaged 277 with an SD of 12. Interestingly, the TPs had a much more noticeable dispersion than the range balls, no numbers, but it was obvious.

ggsjpc

New
Back in June the local range I visit often allowed me to hit some range balls versus TaylorMade TP Blacks, while they did some lawn maintenance. I marked ten of each and hit 8 irons. Eight of the range balls and nine of the TMs were struck solidly. There was a faint tailwind. The average for the range balls was 148 (via GPS, SD was about 4). The TPs averaged 155 with a SD of 5. The same was done with 20 range balls and TPs with the driver. Fifteen drivers and 14 TPs were solidly struck. The range balls averaged 266 with a SD of 10, the TPs averaged 277 with an SD of 12. Interestingly, the TPs had a much more noticeable dispersion than the range balls, no numbers, but it was obvious.

277?! You're gonna have to give up that I'm just a short knocker tag line.

277?! You're gonna have to give up that I'm just a short knocker tag line.

Were that it was so. By September, hitiing 250 was an achievement, that is one of the reasons I went to see you. Also, the range drains beautifully, and I was probably getting 30 yards roll on average.

Assuming a like new range ball, I'd say at least a club difference. Less with wedges and more with drivers. I have no quantitative data to support that, just experience.

A better question is how much more effective do you think your range sessions would be if the balls were all of playing quality? 10%? 25?

I almost never chip/pitch/putt with a range ball, however. Useless, IMO.

Assuming a like new range ball, I'd say at least a club difference. Less with wedges and more with drivers. I have no quantitative data to support that, just experience.

A better question is how much more effective do you think your range sessions would be if the balls were all of playing quality? 10%? 25?

I almost never chip/pitch/putt with a range ball, however. Useless, IMO.

Goose, that is a serious problem for those of us that play with game improvement irons and do not have access to clubs that provide top quality range balls. It can be somewhat difficult to ascertain the degree of a mishit with these irons, and the variation in ball quality often has me shaking my head. This was far more noticeable in late August/September versus May/June as the balls degrade. I find it to be less of an issue with the driver and 3-wood, as the quality of contact is generally obvious, and ball flight is the only issue, not necessarily the exact distance and dispersion.

Status
Not open for further replies.