How much spin loft to create 'Tour spin'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spin loft is the difference between dynamic loft and attack angle. The bigger the Spin loft, the more spin.

How much RPM would a tour player generate for a 100 yard shot?
What would their spin loft likely be?

What about their other numbers (assuming 52* wedge)?
Launch angle?
Dynamic loft?
Club path and face?...do they hit it (small) cut shots?

What about for the 40 yard shot that goes bounce, bounce, stop.

With Lia's help I discovered some Trackman data for Luke Donald. Unfortunately, no club-related data was presented.

Yds VLA MaxHt
60 35.9 15.9
70 34.3 17.3
80 31.8 19.5
90 26.7 18.9
100 27.8 22.4
120 21.9 25.2
140 19.5 29.2

1. I have no idea what club (and static loft) he was using.
2. I suspect that the 120yard shot might have been close to a full swing, and the 140yards shot was a full swing.
3. Everything less that 140 yards appears to be a 'knock down' shot of some sorts. If they weren't, then the VLA and MaxHt would be greater.
4. The 19.5* VLA for the 140yd shot...I hit 19.5* with my seven iron :( I suspect he is hitting a wedge with about 46-50*.

5100 RPM for the 60 yard shot
7919 RPM for 100 yard shot.
8800 RPM for the 120/140 shots. This was the highest for all of the distances.

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
From the views of your swing that posted not long ago, spin in your pitching game will come from upgraded hand action. I wish I could be more specific but if your pitching game is similar to your full swing you'd def lack spin.

What about for the 40 yard shot that goes bounce, bounce, stop.

Here's a couple using a 64 wedge with some old ProV balls to a 42 yd target. Don't pay attention to the roll, the unit was set on hard surface.

Untitled2_zpsfd22436a.jpg

Gold. Thanks.

Spin = truckloads.
Spin axis = fade/slice
Smash = very low...glancing blow on the ball.

Dynamic loft?
AoA?
VSP?

Presumably club face laid open (relative to path) with outside-to-in swing path?

Gold. Thanks.

Spin = truckloads.
Spin axis = fade/slice
Smash = very low...glancing blow on the ball.

Spin = I don't believe 11,000 rpms is that exceptional for that length of shot with that amount of loft.
Spin axis = The "-" spin axis is tilted towards the draw side, but on a shot that short with that much launch, -4.8 and -2.6 aren't moving off line much at all.
Smash = A 1:1 speed (club to ball) on these short shots is a good goal. The 1.00 smash is something I learned in my lesson with Brian last year and a benchmark I look for when practicing these shots.

Dynamic loft?
AoA?
VSP?

It's very tough to get impact numbers with club and ball speeds this low. Occasionally the stars align and it'll read impact numbers... this shot with this club is typically a 55* to 57* DL, -3.5* to -2.5* AoA, and 58* to 60* VSP.

Presumably club face laid open (relative to path) with outside-to-in swing path?

Club face as square as I can get it (less than 1* on either side usually) with the path pretty neutral. When the path does wonder it's on the in-to-out side (+2* usually) when the AoA gets a bit too downward. The first shot was a touch toey.

Status
Not open for further replies.