How to fix a Pull/Push Player

Status
Not open for further replies.
Background/Issue:
Played a draw/hook for years. Over the past few seasons, ball flight has been straight-ish with misses being either pulls or pushes (with all clubs): which I understand likely points to face control issues. I also seem to hit the ball low on the face and in the heel of the driver

Observation:
I was recently on Trackman to test some drivers (I don't have the numbers but I will request them & post them if the fitter can send them) and had what I thought looked like a fairly consistent face to path relationship. To the best of my recollection the numbers generally looked like:

- SS: 105 range
- AoA: 1-3 up
- Path: 4-6 right
- Face: Closed 0.25-1

I recognize these are fairly broad ranges for something so precise but wanted to give details that might be helpful. Throughout the session I hit predominantly pulls (not much curvature to my eye), which I think would be expected with that face/path relationship. I would then over-correct and block the next ball out to the right. Indicative of an ability to change/control the face?

Question:
Given the numbers above, would you tend to focus more on opening the face to the path? Or reducing the rightward skew of the path? And given your preferred approach (path or face), what specifically would you work on? Drills, swing thoughts, etc.?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have.

Joe

mp29

New
Ok, new here but it since no answers, here's something Ben Doyle drilled into me one day - hit the inside aft corner of the ball. If you do that, you cannot pull it.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Background/Issue:
Played a draw/hook for years. Over the past few seasons, ball flight has been straight-ish with misses being either pulls or pushes (with all clubs): which I understand likely points to face control issues. I also seem to hit the ball low on the face and in the heel of the driver

Observation:
I was recently on Trackman to test some drivers (I don't have the numbers but I will request them & post them if the fitter can send them) and had what I thought looked like a fairly consistent face to path relationship. To the best of my recollection the numbers generally looked like:
- SS: 105 range- AoA: 1-3 up- Path: 4-6 right- Face: Closed 0.25-1

I recognize these are fairly broad ranges for something so precise but wanted to give details that might be helpful. Throughout the session I hit predominantly pulls (not much curvature to my eye), which I think would be expected with that face/path relationship. I would then over-correct and block the next ball out to the right. Indicative of an ability to change/control the face?

Question:
Given the numbers above, would you tend to focus more on opening the face to the path? Or reducing the rightward skew of the path? And given your preferred approach (path or face), what specifically would you work on? Drills, swing thoughts, etc.?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have.

Joe

Here is the deal....your path simply moves too far to the right sometimes. I would start to swing further left by getting into the position I wanted to be through the balls and working backwards.

The so-called Joe Durant drill.

I'll post up a video.

Ok, new here but it since no answers, here's something Ben Doyle drilled into me one day - hit the inside aft corner of the ball. If you do that, you cannot pull it.

But you can hook it—a lot. :)

mp29

New
Brian, do you see overdrawing from the inside resulting from rotating the left wrist through impact? Can it happen if you don't full roll the left wrist?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
If you swing 4 degrees inside out (the most I like to see), you are pretty much slick. If you swing 6 or 8 or 10 degrees inside out and you even twitch your torso and pelvis not open enough—fore! left.

Status
Not open for further replies.