How to get some swing speed back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erik_K

New
I agree. I did rippetoe's starting strength and made a long linear progression for close to 6 months. I increased body weight by 30 lbs and was dead lifting over 450lbs and benching close to 300. I seriously bulked up and looked like a linebacker. I did hit of further, but just a little but further. Just like Erik is saying also, I think it is a combination of fitness, developing swing speed, technique, solid contact etc.

Correct. There may be some diminishing returns in that regard. Let's say you can DL 250, bench 150, and squat 185 and hit the ball 250 yards. Now go ahead and double those lift numbers. I doubt you'd hit the ball twice as far now.

I think the swing sequence, solid(ness) of contact, the desired shot shape (draw vs fade) play a very critical role. Let us not forget the LM data too - hitting slightly up can help a lot and reducing the spin will go a long way toward longer drives. There's no question about it: it's a blend of technique, equipment, and how strong you are.

Erik

Having seen my club head speed drop 15 mph as I approach 60 this topic highly interests me. This weeks Performance Institute episode on The Golf Channel was on power, had very good info on producing more speed. I highly recommend it, repeats at 1:00pm est today. I have the episode Tivo'ed and available for viewing (streaming) if anyone misses it.

Swing Speed Radar Results

Put it to its 1st test today. I have a left ankle that has been a little gimpy the last few days but felt I got some reasonable average swings with it. Found the readings pretty much consistent with driver (with ball). Most swings between 97 & 99 with one at 100 and another at 101. Did get one at 105, but it was a toe hook, so not sure if was accurate it or not. Hit 3 3woods (off low tee) at 94/95 mph.

Found the irons swings are much more sensitive to placement of the device. Had 6 iron readings anywhere from low 70's to over 100. Once I figured out placement, I was pretty much in the mid to upper 70's with 6 iron and low 80's with 4 iron. Not sure if those #s are consistent with driver swings in the upper 90's.

Titleist Launch Monitor had me at upper 90's for driver earlier this year - so I am satisfied that it is pretty accurate. If I can keep the driver up close to 100 seeing that I am 70 yrs old, I will be happy.

Bruce

I had the same experience with a seven iron Bruce, irons seem a bit touchy but the driver is pretty consistent. For what it's worth the fastest swing speed was done by a friend of mine that pounds the ball, he maxed out at 128 mph.

Well it was going great...I had been working out every other day and I was hitting it regularly between 106-108 with some swings hitting in the 115 mph range, much better than what I had been hitting it earlier in the year. The two big differences that I found to pick up speed was firing my hips as fast as I could feeling like I was leaving my upper body back and the second thing was to hinge my wrist really hard in the transition.

All was going well until last week I pulled my exterior oblique on my left side. I was working on really firing my hips and I could really feel the stretch between my upper and lower body but I guess I am getting too old to swing that hard and often. I can't make a full swing with out feeling like someone just punched me in the stomach after each swing. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I can get back at it. I really think the over speed training was making a difference along with some improved mechanics.

Last edited:
Good to hear about the progress, not so much on the injury. I had something similar happen to me. I was doing some overspeed training and tore my lead arm rotator cuff. I have avoided surgery, but it still gets pretty sore.

I should have posted this earlier. I found the swing speed radar to be okay, but somewhat limited. I would swing 102 to 104 with my driver, and then 115 with my 3 wood. Keep the batteries fresh and try to maintain a very consistent set up as far as positioning the unit.

You've got me motivated to try to get back into some overspeed training again. Before my injury it was really helping my game. The benefits of increased length in today's game can't be overstated IMO.

Best of luck with the injury. Let us know how you are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.