How to kick the reverse pivot for good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
cause?

I think that at least one, if not the principle, cause of my reverse pivot has been a stubborn insistence on keeping the ball in my rather small center of vision (I wear glasses and have astigmatism. The only way to do this and get somewhat behind the ball was to sway right and tilt the head left. (I wasn't trying to stack and tilt, but I looked like a poster boy for the leaning left at the top. Ouch).

So here's my new question (although I haven't forgotten the old one Brian has yet to answer on right arm position and reverse pivot): how much should you let the ball move around in your field of vision? When I do a correct pivot, the ball is close to being out of direct sight and only there in the peripheral range.

Thanks again for the help.

greenfree

Banned
I think that at least one, if not the principle, cause of my reverse pivot has been a stubborn insistence on keeping the ball in my rather small center of vision (I wear glasses and have astigmatism. The only way to do this and get somewhat behind the ball was to sway right and tilt the head left. (I wasn't trying to stack and tilt, but I looked like a poster boy for the leaning left at the top. Ouch).

So here's my new question (although I haven't forgotten the old one Brian has yet to answer on right arm position and reverse pivot): how much should you let the ball move around in your field of vision? When I do a correct pivot, the ball is close to being out of direct sight and only there in the peripheral range.

Thanks again for the help.

I swivel my head better than an owl and it looks like Nicklaus on roids, i don't remember seeing the ball until it's gone, except of course at address. I never had a problem with contact. It's not a body sway.

Jwat

New
When my reverse pivot creeps in which is often it is due to my right leg and right side straightening instead of my left leg and left side straightening and my right side bending around.

I still can't get rid of it.

Went to Cool Clubs in Dallas on thursday for a full set fitting and couldn't hit 1 ball solid. After 2 hours of reverse pivoting we had to reschedule for a better ballstriking time.

Its a good thing Cool Clubs stands behind their experience. Didn't charge me a penny for his time.

Any other suggestions on the reverse pivot? I know the guys who frequently do it are begging for a solution that works for them. And anyone that says all you need is an early hip turn are full of crap. I can focus on that and it really makes my reverse pivot even more reverse.

greenfree

Banned
When my reverse pivot creeps in which is often it is due to my right leg and right side straightening instead of my left leg and left side straightening and my right side bending around.

I still can't get rid of it.

Went to Cool Clubs in Dallas on thursday for a full set fitting and couldn't hit 1 ball solid. After 2 hours of reverse pivoting we had to reschedule for a better ballstriking time.

Its a good thing Cool Clubs stands behind their experience. Didn't charge me a penny for his time.

Any other suggestions on the reverse pivot? I know the guys who frequently do it are begging for a solution that works for them. And anyone that says all you need is an early hip turn are full of crap. I can focus on that and it really makes my reverse pivot even more reverse.

It's how you do the hip turn. If you turn in a tight little circle with no pressure into your right leg/hip than it can make it worse. The key is pivot "into" your right groin area/leg using your hip. I find an in handpath helps for me, when i do it.

Last edited:

Jwat

New
It's how you do the hip turn. If you turn in a tight little circle with no pressure into your right leg/hip than it can make it worse. The key is pivot "into" your right groin area/leg using your hip. I find an in handpath helps for me, when i do it.

I still lean left for some reason even with the inner hand path.:confused:

greenfree

Banned

Yeah, that's a tough one without seeing your swing, maybe your a leftie stuck in a righties body, just kidding, is there video of your swing posted anywhere. Maybe one of the instructors can help.

cnadon, sounds like you are ball bound. It isn't necessarily true that you have to
see focus on the ball. You might try just swinging and letting the ball get in the way.

Sure I've seen SnT teachers claim that an inward hand path and leftward spine tilt tend to reinforce one another.

Personally, if I was worried about a reverse-pivot, I'd be looking at Jimmy Ballard's book. From what I remember, he was the sworn enemy of the reverse-pivot. I also seem to remember that he hated the word "turn" - the backswing was all about "coiling as deep as possible into the right side". I think, according to JB, lateral movement on the backswing only becomes a problem if the weight goes to the outside of the right foot, anything short of that is good.

Jwat

New
Sure I've seen SnT teachers claim that an inward hand path and leftward spine tilt tend to reinforce one another.

Personally, if I was worried about a reverse-pivot, I'd be looking at Jimmy Ballard's book. From what I remember, he was the sworn enemy of the reverse-pivot. I also seem to remember that he hated the word "turn" - the backswing was all about "coiling as deep as possible into the right side". I think, according to JB, lateral movement on the backswing only becomes a problem if the weight goes to the outside of the right foot, anything short of that is good.

Interesting, I think I will get his book. Thanks for the info.

I still think my problem is the root of my left knee bending and going towards the ball during the back swing. Thinking of getting a knee brace or something to practice with maybe.

greenfree

Banned
I don't know how you could get a left leaning torso using a inner hand path, if you coil into your right side like i suggested.

I still think my problem is the root of my left knee bending and going towards the ball during the back swing. Thinking of getting a knee brace or something to practice with maybe.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing is it? Personally I would think it would be hard to make a full turn and get your weight into the inside of your right leg without your left knee getting closer to the ball. Look at Hogan's swing his left knee definitely gets closer to the golf ball before he starts the DS.

Jwat

New
I don't know how you could get a left leaning torso using a inner hand path, if you coil into your right side like i suggested.

It is from no right side bend during backswing.

My left knee bends over my toes while my left side bends inward.

Coiling into the right side might be easy for you, but for alot of golfers it is the exact opposite.

greenfree

Banned
It is from no right side bend during backswing.

My left knee bends over my toes while my left side bends inward.

Coiling into the right side might be easy for you, but for alot of golfers it is the exact opposite.

If you can't do it, you can't. Nothing comes easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.