How Trackman changed how I thought of my swing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a session for shaft fitting today on Trackman. Sorry to not have figures to hand or video but had revelation from the numbers.

I have tended to pull hook and be very "dead" with my leg action. Short game has also been poor since I hurt my neck a few years ago.

Trackman numbers showed a 2 degree out to in swing path (if that is the right way for out to in) and a slightly closed clubface which was negated slightly by a heel hit and shallow AoA. I always thought I was under plane due to my occasional drop kick driver but it would seem I get actually get over the top and steep, seemingly panic halfway down, pivot stall and flip it.

Would it seem a good course of action to practice with a lie board a few inches behind the ball ( negate flip) and feel like I swing in to out (with a towel plane board in to out) as a drill?

Seems this would help my flip (miss lie board) and get me to drop the club to attack it from the inside?

Last lesson my pro had me on a large plane board with the feeling of going back on the plane board then dropping it under.

Tendency is to hit it fat doing this. Same with short game, on a plane board my hands want to come inside whilst the club wants to come off the plane board.

Any of you guys have any thoughts on this?

Last edited:
Had a session for shaft fitting today on Trackman. Sorry to not have figures to hand or video but had revelation from the numbers.

I have tended to pull hook and be very "dead" with my leg action. Short game has also been poor since I hurt my neck a few years ago.

Trackman numbers showed a 2 degree out to in swing path (if that is the right way for out to in) and a slightly closed clubface which was negated slightly by a heel hit and shallow AoA. I always thought I was under plane due to my occasional drop kick driver but it would seem I get actually get over the top and steep, seemingly panic halfway down, pivot stall and flip it.

Would it seem a good course of action to practice with a lie board a few inches behind the ball ( negate flip) and feel like I swing in to out (with a towel plane board in to out) as a drill?

Seems this would help my flip (miss lie board) and get me to drop the club to attack it from the inside?

Last lesson my pro had me on a large plane board with the feeling of going back on the plane board then dropping it under.

Tendency is to hit it fat doing this. Same with short game, on a plane board my hands want to come inside whilst the club wants to come off the plane board.

Any of you guys have any thoughts on this?

Your release is early; thats why you hit it fat when you try to hit from inside. Work on some lag and once you can release a little later, the inside will be yours without the fats. It's the chicken or the egg...you either started throwing it away because you got outside, or you are outside because you're throwing it? You can play outside and early, but not inside.

Last edited:
Is your "slightly closed" face slightly closed to your out to in path, or slightly closed to your target and slightly open to your path. The latter might be quite a playable combo, no? Or maybe not, if you're also too shallow into the ball...

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Sounds like a CLASSIC late back up, that doesn't back up enough.

To me, I'd just add some hip turn on the way down and be done with it.

Lindsey: with lag a little goes a long way, it's not a Garcia or nothing deal; every little bit helps. Some guys just wanna throw it, so as Brian suggested turning them thru can do the trick. Or "stack and tilting" them! But here's what I use to "teach" lag...
Lie board behind ball
Extended club (aim stick or broken shaft stuck in grip end and placed under left arm pit)
Paint white line on dirt. Have them make divots in front of it (no ball)
Hitting balls with a net very close behind. So close you can't make a backswing. Start at top of swing and make downswings so narrow they don't hit net. Hit at white line or actually hit balls.
DC

Status
Not open for further replies.