Huge power loss -- HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
After working really hard to perfect the ‘twist away’ and maintain a bent right wrist through impact, I find I have now lost at least 10 to 20 yards with all my irons!

With my old downswing, I just pulled the pulled the butt of the club through ball, with soft wrists and just let the club do what it wanted. I think this more ‘natural’ release gave me the distance.

Now with this more contrived action, it feels like I am controlling the clubface and release by muscular effort. Yes I am now straighter, but all my distance has GONE!

Could someone please clarify this one thing for me? When you maintain your flying wedges (flat left, bent right) can you do it with loose wrists and let the release happen naturally, or does it need conscious and muscular effort throughout the swing?

Hope this all make sense - I’m a bit lost at the moment and the little yellow book is not helping - it’s like looking for a needle in haystack!

rwh

New
quote:Originally posted by Dentman

After working really hard to perfect the ‘twist away’ and maintain a bent right wrist through impact, I find I have now lost at least 10 to 20 yards with all my irons!

With my old downswing, I just pulled the pulled the butt of the club through ball, with soft wrists and just let the club do what it wanted. I think this more ‘natural’ release gave me the distance.

Now with this more contrived action, it feels like I am controlling the clubface and release by muscular effort. Yes I am now straighter, but all my distance has GONE!

Could someone please clarify this one thing for me? When you maintain your flying wedges (flat left, bent right) can you do it with loose wrists and let the release happen naturally, or does it need conscious and muscular effort throughout the swing?Hope this all make sense - I’m a bit lost at the moment and the little yellow book is not helping - it’s like looking for a needle in haystack!

Yes, you can. You don't need rigor mortis to set in to do the Twist Away or keep your Flying Wedges in tact. (By the way, the Flying Wedges is more than just correct wrist conditions). Bottom line: you can execute correct hand and/or wrist action with very supple wrists.

If you have any tension in your swing, you will lose yardage. If you are using a swinging procedure, just let the release happen of it's own accord (sweep release). That tension (contrived effort to maintain the wedges) will only lead to steering and resultant swingspeed loss.

It is possible to remove tension from your arms, and still direct them in the correct way. That's the fine line we all walk.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Dentman...you are a swinger.

You should't do the twist away.

Use your left thumb to halt the backswing and freewheel it though the ball.

If you wrist was bent, the twistway probably fixed it long ago.

Nice post Brian.
I was initially confused by the twist away article until I realized it didn't apply to me.
I swing, I cup, I don't have a slice issue.

By the way, I also have tension in my swing - I grip it hard (about a 7 out of 10), and I use strong extensor action. A friend of a friend recently told me, in the heat of competition you are going to grip it tight anyway, why not learn to play it? The hands are just clamps and the right arm is always attempting to stay straight.

Turf

Thanks for the input guys.

Brian - I cured my cupped left wrist, at the top, about a year ago so it looks like the ‘twist away’ is one less thing for me to think about.

I would love to be able to ‘freewheel’ through the ball, but consciously trying to maintain impact alignments and do all the other stuff in the downswing, is getting me all locked up and I feel I am now just steering the club.

If I keep working on this stuff, will there ever be time when I can just pull the butt of the club through the ball and just ‘let it happen’?

DDL

New
quote:Originally posted by brianman

Use your left thumb to halt the backswing and freewheel it though the ball.

Not quite understanding freewheel. Is it thumb-fu....karate chopping the inside corner of the ball with the left thumb on the aft side of the clubshaft?

Thx

ej20

New
quote:Originally posted by Dentman

Thanks for the input guys.

Brian - I cured my cupped left wrist, at the top, about a year ago so it looks like the ‘twist away’ is one less thing for me to think about.

I would love to be able to ‘freewheel’ through the ball, but consciously trying to maintain impact alignments and do all the other stuff in the downswing, is getting me all locked up and I feel I am now just steering the club.

If I keep working on this stuff, will there ever be time when I can just pull the butt of the club through the ball and just ‘let it happen’?
You can do the twist away with very soft wrists..no need to over control the movement.On the downstroke,try to hold the twist.Keep the wrists limp and let centrifugal force hold it for you if you like to swing.Try not to think about a bent right wrist,flat left or confusing impact alignments.That doesn't work for me either.That is for hitters like Brian said.I prefer to see the 'texture' of the swing like i am swinging a baseball bat rather than a 'thrusting' right arm.You can now freewheel through the ball in your sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.