I cannot believe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
They should have played the hole as intended....as a par 5.

I thought the course was way over the top. 260 yard par threes and three par fours over 5 bills is ridiculous IMO.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
They should have played the hole as intended....as a par 5.

I thought the course was way over the top. 260 yard par threes and three par fours over 5 bills is ridiculous IMO.

????????

8 under plays off on a par 70. Thats over the top? 500 yd par 4s on firmish conditions is really no big deal anymore. Neither are par 3s at 230 or longer. I always hear that people want to see players hitting one irons into par 4s like Hogan at Merion. Not arguing, just offering another viewpoint.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Yeah I guess so. I did notice that shortish Jason Dufner hit one 330 on one of the holes. Bradley hit one 370. That is just unreal.

I don't mind long par threes, it just seems anything over 230 is kind of silly and defeats the purpose.

If Hogan had played modern equipment he would have hit 6i instead of 2i at Merion.

When a Southern player loses to a player from the Northeast, the only sensible reason is a jacked-up course.:p

When a Southern player loses to a player from the Northeast, the only sensible reason is a jacked-up course.:p

Can't believe some shady, back room deal couldn't have been worked out. They even had the Bermuda grass installed. You guys are gotten soft down there. Lol

Yeah but that "Southern player" actually lived in Cleveland until he was 14. That finish for Dufner was "The Drive" and "The Fumble" all over again.

Last four holes made for fun watching. However it does not take much skill to toughen up a course with water and length. Even if you took fifty yards off the last four holes, they would be too difficult for an average golfer. Donald Ross used to design courses based on the premise that they should be challenging to a good player, but not overly punitive to a handicap golfer. I watch them play at Augusta and think how fun it would be to play that course. Watching this tournament, the course was just not interesting. I like watching them play a 260 yard par three, but the water on 15 is crazy difficult.

I don't think the course was over the top this year, especially considering how firm it played, but I do think that resorting to excess water hazards and adding a new tee box fifty yards back is a bailout for a course designer or "re-designer". To me it shows a lack of creativity but that's just a humble opinion from a guy who reads books about Mackenzie and Tillinghast. People seem to focus on length though, and I think that adding length to a hole, other than maybe par 3s, makes them easier by opening up the tee shot. These guys on tour are so good with long clubs that coming in with a 3-hybrid doesn't really bother them that much. Take 13 at Augusta for example, adding a new longer tee just opened up the hole so guys don't have to think about hitting a controlled draw with a 3-wood, they can just pull out a driver, swing a couple degrees further right and bomb a big draw and come in with 6-iron.

Overall, I thought it was a fantastic course and a great setup. These guys were hitting 4 irons into those 235 yard par 3's, so for them, it's not too long at all. (It's too long for me.) Lots of folks were able to break par, but it was a very challenging course overall.

But 18 was a problem. The problem wasn't that the hole was really long for a par 4, or that it had water hazards. The problem was that in moving the tees up they created a hole with no landing area. If you hit it left even the tiniest bit, you were wet. And if you hit a pretty good shot, you were in the bunker (with no hope of getting to the green in two). Jason Dufner was the only guy in the field for whom 18 suited his eye with a driver. They should have pushed the tees *back* on 18 and played it as a par 5. The hole would have still produced plenty of 6s, but it would have made for a bunch of birdies and a few eagles and would have been fun to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.