I cant stop tugging!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

66er

New
Hey guys, Ive been working on the new release for a few weeks now, but due to weather conditions over here Ive only got to the course once. My main problem is definitely tugging in the transition, I just cant stop, because of this I cant get the feel of going normal at all. Im just wondering is there any drill or something that can help me here or is it just a case of mindless repetition until I get it?

As I said I havent been able to get out much but I am struggling. On a more positive note the new grip has improve my short game dramatically, and I swear to god I hit the best 4 iron of my life, so pure, the sound and the flight......:eek:.....that shot is keeping me going and Im not a bad player. The only thought I had in my head was line up the coupling point, it was truly effortless power, couldnt do it on the next hole though, which I blame on the tug. Can anyone help me stop tugging?

I feel ya... key thoughts for me personally are....

get the back to the target (if you don't it sets you up for some tug IMO)

have some SLACK

Line it up

Try to finish similar to the pics lia posted.

66er

New
Yeah I will, I realise everyone is busy with the anti-summit coming up, but I was just wondering say if you had a student who was tugging, how would Brian and the gang go about getting them to stop? Is it as simple as saying "dont tug!".

There is only tug when there's tension. Take away the tension, take away the tug.

Players lose the feel of the clubhead and forget that the clubhead is the most important part of the equation. They try to generate speed with their bodies...their shoulders...their arms. They forget about the clubhead. Make exaggerated, level swings with the clubhead moving faster than everything else. Notice how much slower the body moves. Once the body stops initiating the DS, the body gets back in sync.

IMHO...

66er

New
Thats an interesting post kennedy, would you say tension is the sole cause of tugging in the transition? I was just looking for an anti-tugging move or something to prevent it apart from sheer will.

lia41985

Try to finish similar to the pics lia posted.
Adam Scott:
photo1gz.png

Sergio Garcia:
photo2q.png

Francesco Molinari:
photo3sl.png

Edoardo Molinari:
photo4oz.png

Ben Hogan:
photo5i.png

Thats an interesting post kennedy, would you say tension is the sole cause of tugging in the transition? I was just looking for an anti-tugging move or something to prevent it apart from sheer will.

Tension is certainly not the sole cause of tugging, just the most common IMO. When you have zero slack in your BS, even the slightest movement of the left shoulder to begin the DS (anxiety, tension, aggression...etc.) can you get you into handle dragging central. Its something I've battled on-and-off since junior golf and something you can see on most driving ranges.

Jwat

New
Looks like everyone on those pics has their left palm on the wall in the finish. Definitley no roll through impact.

Tension is certainly not the sole cause of tugging, just the most common IMO. When you have zero slack in your BS, even the slightest movement of the left shoulder to begin the DS (anxiety, tension, aggression...etc.) can you get you into handle dragging central. Its something I've battled on-and-off since junior golf and something you can see on most driving ranges.

I seem to recall Brian saying the slack is to enable the toss-out, but that the toss-out was not for everyone. In that case (me), until I really learn it is there anything I could do (similar to OP question) that would be a good drill? Assume, for now, I do not have any or enough slack. I think that's going to take some time becuase I've always be taught to extend the left arm as much as possible on the BS (no slack). As a result, my entire body (arms, shoulders, tummy, tush) moves as one in an 'around move'. Straight ball flight.. No power. I have video, but... ugly.

IMO, its all about the line up. If you tug, your left shoulder, left arm, chest have over-accelerated and the club is lining up late or not at all. Practice lining it up early. Make level practice swings with the club passing you earlier than you can imagine with the left wrist cupping just past impact. Imagine making practice swings with a bed sheet hanging from a clothesline. Let the club hit the bed sheet while your back is still to the target. At game speed, the body will turn much faster, but your club has a better chance of lining up. IMO, try to overdo it for a while.

IMO, its all about the line up. If you tug, your left shoulder, left arm, chest have over-accelerated and the club is lining up late or not at all. Practice lining it up early. Make level practice swings with the club passing you earlier than you can imagine with the left wrist cupping just past impact. Imagine making practice swings with a bed sheet hanging from a clothesline. Let the club hit the bed sheet while your back is still to the target. At game speed, the body will turn much faster, but your club has a better chance of lining up. IMO, try to overdo it for a while.
Eric, Do you think that tug could come later on in the downswing with the same adverse affect?

I would like to think that the human body is a complicated machine and the mind is fragile, so I think you could tug (steer, bail out) at any point.

leon

New
Some good stuff here so far:

I seem to recall Brian saying the slack is to enable the toss-out, but that the toss-out was not for everyone.

Absolutely he did. I think he also said that if you didn't need the out-toss you'd probably want to be keeping your back to target longer (I assume to give your hands time to start down first). But I don't recall him saying WHY some people don't need out-toss. That is one of the missing pieces for me.

Imagine making practice swings with a bed sheet hanging from a clothesline. Let the club hit the bed sheet while your back is still to the target.

Nice idea. Avoiding the tug for me is all about getting my mind on the clubhead and off of the body. I need a lot more practice :(

the "back to target" thing is great advice for a tugger. it's a key swing thought for me.

Me too. I've always struggled with what to do in transition, should I weight shift, slide my hips, start unwinding, move the left knee, move the right knee, let the hands fall, any other tip I've ever read. Nothing helped. But back to target and out-toss did. Immediately :)

Last edited:

dknc

New
How do you get back to the ball by 'keeping your back to the target'? In my early attempts to eliminate the tug I find myself chunking just about every shot. I feel a late, frantic rotation right before impact so I can catch the ball first. I've got to chicken wing it in a big way to keep from burying the club in the turf.

Status
Not open for further replies.