I Hate Cold Weather: Trackman Retail Stores?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Smither

Super Moderator
It seems as though the prospects of bringing Trackman into a retail setting is pretty compelling, especially with the advent of this new "Combine" software package.

The hurdles are abundant. No doubt about that.

But the fact that there is presently an indoor golf chain that has been sustainable -- with junk technology and no real answers -- provides some precedent that there is a market out there somewhere.

More than anything, us cold weather citizens need an outlet to relieve our addiction.

This is by no means an original thought, but it appears to be something that is worthy of further discussion.

Last edited:
More than anything, us cold weather citizens need an outlet to relieve our addiction.

Man, I hear that. My living room practice swing count just reached six digits and I know the breaks in my basement carpet like the back of my hand.

There is a large range complex about 20 minutes from where I live. It's got heated stalls, three decks of hitting bays, automatic ball delivery - the whole enchilada. They also have a GolfTek learning center (dubious term, I know) which I wish they would cash in for a nice Trackman setup.

I'm curious about what exacly you mean by Trackman retail store, it's a really cool idea. What do you envision this place as?

It seems as though the prospects of bringing Trackman into a retail setting is pretty compelling, especially with the advent of this new "Combine" software package.

The hurdles are abundant. No doubt about that.

But the fact that there is presently an indoor golf chain that has been sustainable -- with junk technology and no real answers -- provides some precedent that there is a market out there somewhere.

This is by no means an original thought, but it appears to be something that is worthy of further discussion.

We had a retail store here that had a Trackman. It was called Golf Etc. It only lasted a few months, in fact I had planned on going over and trying out the Trackman when I found out they were out of business.

Just my luck.....a day late and a dollar short.

I would think a well run store with a Trackman would do at least as well as a GolfTec store if they pushed as hard as the GolfTec stores do. I will give credit to GolfTec for marketing. They do a good job of getting their name out there and getting people signed up. If Trackman was as well know as GolfTec, and with the far superior technology, GolfTec would be fighting for survival.

There's one in Lexington KY if that helps at all. Full retail store with a trackman hitting area. Put everywhere else I've been to shame.

Man, I hear that. My living room practice swing count just reached six digits and I know the breaks in my basement carpet like the back of my hand.

There is a large range complex about 20 minutes from where I live. It's got heated stalls, three decks of hitting bays, automatic ball delivery - the whole enchilada. They also have a GolfTek learning center (dubious term, I know) which I wish they would cash in for a nice Trackman setup.

I'm curious about what exacly you mean by Trackman retail store, it's a really cool idea. What do you envision this place as?

It's gonna be a balmy 48 in tulsa tomorrow....first round of the yr coming up.

:p

We have one here in Ann Arbor at Miles of Golf. It has the software that they use for the combine. They've used it to run tournaments (I even won the stableford tournament, though I couldn't collect the winnings b/c I don't have an official handicap). It's great, inexpensive to use, and it really sharpens the focus of your practice sessions. Look here TrackMan the Game - Practice, Play or Compete at Your Driving Range

I don't see a downside to retail stores having Trackman, especially in this format. I think you'll see it a lot more in the near future.

Inexpensive to use? Just curious, how much per hour. I did a driver fitting at Miles of Golf several months ago. What a great operation!

They are a retail store, but also have driving range revenue, lesson revenue, and custom club revenue. I think the economics for indoor Trackman at a pure retail store are a lot more iffy.

Take Dick's Sporting Goods for example. Golf as a corner of the store piece of the pie. They have their indoor launch monitor, not sure what brand. They cater to Joe Golfer. Nothing wrong with that approach, but I doubt that indoor Trackman would change the customer base. The store in my hometown doesn't sell high end balls. No Pro V1's for example. They don't stock what doesn't sell. Makes perfect sense.

I see what you're saying about the pure retail thing.
Here are the prices for Trackman the Game at Miles of Golf.

$8 for 15 min
$14 for 30
$20 for 60
$36 for 120
$80 for 300

You also got 30 free minutes for signing up. Just pay for balls. But I'm not sure if that's still applicable, or if it was an initial promotional thing.

Brian, maybe something like this could be good for your local students, as far as staying on top of their ballflight during practice sessions at the Turn?

Last edited:

Ryan Smither

Super Moderator
That's respectable pricing ...

There would certainly have to be a club-fitting, club sales side to the business to have any hope of viability with a retail type store.

In a perfect world a hybrid Cool Clubs/ Hot Stix/ GolfTec/ Trackman/ Manzella academy would be ideal. ;)

The thing about Miles of Golf, is that it is a labor of love by the founder, Chris Miles. It's entrepenurial and could not easily be cookie cuttered. He has a vision, and it's top quality all the way. Professional, courteous staff, top equipment, Trackman, heated bays, and heated balls for god sake! Helps to be surrounded by that huge metropolitan market.

Those prices seem low to me. I know I had to make an appointment for the Trackman fitting. They may let people play the Trackman Game, but somehow I doubt they will let you get on the system and actually use it unattended. I'll bet they watch over the unit and the laptop very closely.

Miles of Golf marketing example. Just remembered this. There are two very large windows that allow people in the retail area to look down into the two fitting bays. You can stand there and watch the person hitting on Trackman.
I think you can see the numbers come up on the, looks like 46" or larger monitor. Sort of a "Don't you wonder what that is approach?"

Dick's sporting goods owns the Golf Galaxy chain. They have an in-house instructor and offer indoor lessons but most Pors in these stores are not very knowledgeable and they use some junk swing analysis equipment.

I recently used the new trackman system at MILES OF GOLF in Ypsilanti, MI. BigWill had the pricing and details in a prior post, but just wanted to add my 2cents.

I think this is the way of the future for driving ranges. It makes range time much more interesting and keeps you attention. I was able to test out a few clubs I built head to head and get real time data to support my thoughts on the clubs. Just knowing exactly how far every shot was going and the launch characteristics makes you way more intune to things going on in your swing.

The system also keeps all your sessions stored and you can get your data via their My Trackman website. I'd be shocked if this technology isn't available all over the US in a couple years.

The thing about Miles of Golf, is that it is a labor of love by the founder, Chris Miles. It's entrepenurial and could not easily be cookie cuttered. He has a vision, and it's top quality all the way. Professional, courteous staff, top equipment, Trackman, heated bays, and heated balls for god sake! Helps to be surrounded by that huge metropolitan market.

Those prices seem low to me. I know I had to make an appointment for the Trackman fitting. They may let people play the Trackman Game, but somehow I doubt they will let you get on the system and actually use it unattended. I'll bet they watch over the unit and the laptop very closely.

It's different than the standard Trackman system that they use for fitting. For that, you're right, they have authorized staff manning the system.

But for the smaller units used for Trackman the Game, there is an individual unit for each stall (4-8 stalls, maybe? Dunno, I had tunnel vision going on). You only have someone there for your initial run, to show you how it works. Every visit after that, you just walk in, grab your golf balls, log in and go, unattended. You only stop if you need more minutes. Other than that, staff interaction is no different than any other time you hit balls.

Last edited:
I recently used the new trackman system at MILES OF GOLF in Ypsilanti, MI. BigWill had the pricing and details in a prior post, but just wanted to add my 2cents.

I think this is the way of the future for driving ranges. It makes range time much more interesting and keeps you attention. I was able to test out a few clubs I built head to head and get real time data to support my thoughts on the clubs. Just knowing exactly how far every shot was going and the launch characteristics makes you way more intune to things going on in your swing.

The system also keeps all your sessions stored and you can get your data via their My Trackman website. I'd be shocked if this technology isn't available all over the US in a couple years.

+1 to all that, Dustin.

One question that I've always had was the ballflight I should be shooting for. I've never played with really, really good players before,which sucks because I learn best by copying what I see. Trackman really helped me in this regard, because I was able to look at my numbers compared to the pro averages, including max height. With TtG, I was able to see where I was, and where I needed to be. Nothing like comparing numbers to ballflight in real time. The game also has a running leaderboard, so it gives you something to shoot for to keep those competitive juices flowing, especially for those of us who can't play during the winter.

If this goes nationwide like I think it will, it may just change the way instructors teach, because their students will have regular access to hard numbers, and they'll have to deal with that.

It's different than the standard Trackman system that they use for fitting. For that, you're right, they have authorized staff manning the system.

But for the smaller units used for Trackman the Game, there is an individual unit for each stall (4-8 stalls, maybe? Dunno, I had tunnel vision going on). You only have someone there for your initial run, to show you how it works. Every visit after that, you just walk in, grab your golf balls, log in and go, unattended. You only stop if you need more minutes. Other than that, staff interaction is no different than any other time you hit balls.

I wasn't sure about Trackman the Game but in my weekly Miles email it said first 30 minutes were free so I said ok I will give it a shot, having used there Trackman to fit all my equipment I figured at least I will get 30 minutes more of Trackman time. After a couple of minutes I knew this was great and since then I have done it 5 more times. As someone else said the idea of your shots compared to Tour averages is great and really gives you something to work towards.

I could see myself getting addicted to that very quickly. The scenario of bays equipped with little Trackman units and credit card machines to add more minutes sounds viable, sort of like spray car washes.

Status
Not open for further replies.