I know what I'm doing this winter...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's freezing out. Normally, I'd still be playing at this time of year but we're under a couple of feet of snow already. Anyway, every cloud has a silver lining - and mine is hopefully going to be indoor putting practice. I've always struggled to see the point of this, since I see putting as more of an issue of touch and feel and I'm not convinced that even our palatial lounge is big enough to practice meaningful distance judgement.

BUT - I've always wanted to give Pelz putting clips a go, and largely been deterred by the fact that they don't seem to have a UK importer.

Now, Yes! Golf are selling very similar :eek: clips, 3 levels of difficulty, and I have some.

So, I'm working away trying to groove a stroke that will consistently hit the ball right out of the sweetspot. I'm hoping that this is going to prove worthwhile, taking Utley's advice at face value that if you're consistently making solid contact, then pace and distance judgement will largely take care of themselves.

So, my plan of action is to work until I'm making good contact with the "tightest" clip at least 80% of the time. Then, since I think that a lot of this is down to hand-eye coordination, I think I might go back a step and try to also groove one-handed putts to a high level of accuracy.

And I will emerge in the spring time hitting pure putts clean out of the sweetspot.

Feel free to post the flaws in my plan, or counterbid whatever would be a better use of time.

See Damon

Burly,

You can always ask The Italian Stallion.

Never really was a believer in any method putting "theory" except Ben Crenshaw's video where he states, "speed determines line" which is dated.

I will offer up a look at Geoff Mangum's place and direct some questions and dialogue to Damon Lucas. Damon is an economist in his teaching and a clear scholar in the realities of rolling a ball.

I always liked to have a few styles to "roll" with. Watched alot of the greats and no two were alike.

My top go to's: Jack, Raymond, and T.W..
...and the ball didn't know...

Last edited:
Don't get too heavy on your putter keep it around 324 grams, nor too large on the grip...
and during the Snowpocalypse practice with an old blade putter from the 40's.

littleacorns - you bin peepin' through my window?

working with an old Wilson 8813 here. Not quite '40s vintage I shouldn't think, but light and slim and leather-wrapped.

I totally agree on not being too prescriptive about what stroke to make. I've always thought that's the beauty of these putting clips - you're not corralling your stroke into a SBST or a particular arc, so (without trashing the idea out of hand) I'm not in a real rush to work with stroke rails or a putting arc, or indeed the sheriff.

On the other hand, what I'm finding is that your arc needs to be pretty damned consistent in order to nail the sweetspot with a high degree of accuracy - but I'm liking that the stroke happens almost as a result of good impact, not the other way round. I've also finally found a reason to try and eliminate lower body movement. It's the ultimate example of form following function.

Winter is a great time to practice putting mechanics. I always do it and this year with 36 rounds recorded I had a putt average of 29.85 per round. Once spring comes around, if you have that aspect of the stroke ingrained you really only need to concentrate on your speed and green reading to get off to a good start.

Status
Not open for further replies.