I need some help with my downswing and arm drop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I start my BS with a slight step on the right foot. I try to get a 90’ shoulder turn with my left shoulder under my chin. I feel like my clockwise pelvis movement works naturally ahead of my transition. At the top through the DS I feel the underhand javelin feel while my chest faces my hands as long as possible.
I am getting to this spot close to impact and feel my arms are still way too high. This requires a late drop under just to get to the ball. I am frustrated by this still. It feels I am doing all the right things in the chain and still having to get out of it late.
Can anyone help? Do I need an earlier javelin feel? I don’t feel like I can back into the target any more than I am.

BTW, my pattern is a lot of SD with not as much ‘in’ on the BS.

Thanks

At a guess, are your shoulders turning 90* (more or less) to your spine? I have an image of your downswing shoulders being quite flat (or parallel to the ground).

art

New
Ok, I start my BS with a slight step on the right foot. I try to get a 90’ shoulder turn with my left shoulder under my chin. I feel like my clockwise pelvis movement works naturally ahead of my transition. At the top through the DS I feel the underhand javelin feel while my chest faces my hands as long as possible.
I am getting to this spot close to impact and feel my arms are still way too high. This requires a late drop under just to get to the ball. I am frustrated by this still. It feels I am doing all the right things in the chain and still having to get out of it late.
Can anyone help? Do I need an earlier javelin feel? I don’t feel like I can back into the target any more than I am.

BTW, my pattern is a lot of SD with not as much ‘in’ on the BS.

Thanks

Dear jbrunk,

From the 'dynamic balance' standpoint, even if you are not doing BBKIB, for whatever reason, stability is enhanced if you change your emphasis/awareness from your forward to rear shoulder during the back swing.

It is much more important that you 'complete' the back swing with your rear (right shoulder for a right-hander) up and back ON THE SHOULDER SWING PLANE , and NOT horizontal. The emphasis on the 90 degree forward shoulder turn while popular, contains error potential that HURTS both the back swing and down swing depending on each golfers unique range of motion characteristics.

Hope that helps. And more about the scapulae/spine etc if you wish.

Sincerely,
art

I sort of feel like my arms are riding my torso early in ds and dragging behind. Just feels a bit trapped.

Sincerely, art
______________________________________________________________________________________
I'd like to hear more Art.

Dear jbrunk,

From the 'dynamic balance' standpoint, even if you are not doing BBKIB, for whatever reason, stability is enhanced if you change your emphasis/awareness from your forward to rear shoulder during the back swing.

It is much more important that you 'complete' the back swing with your rear (right shoulder for a right-hander) up and back ON THE SHOULDER SWING PLANE , and NOT horizontal. The emphasis on the 90 degree forward shoulder turn while popular, contains error potential that HURTS both the back swing and down swing depending on each golfers unique range of motion characteristics.

Sincerely,
art

Not sure what your trying to say regarding my shoulders. I guess the point I was trying to make re the 90' degree shoulder turn is just that I feel like I make a full turn back.

art

New
Not sure what your trying to say regarding my shoulders. I guess the point I was trying to make re the 90' degree shoulder turn is just that I feel like I make a full turn back.

Dear jbrunk and mjh116,

Thanks for your responses, and my apologies for not being as clear as I always want to be.

Over the past several years searching for a better understanding of where the 'power' to accelerate the golf club comes from in the explosive down swing, I returned to Dr. Steve Nesbit's 2005 research papers and found 'work' being done by many many parts of the body. My favorite area to want to know more soon became the 'lead shoulder complex', but little did I realize how important the rear shoulder complex would become, with for me, required a very necessary and much better understanding of the anatomy involved.

I will not attempt to get into any details here but it is VERY important to at least have a basic 'picture' of what I call, 'golf's missing link(s)', the clavicles, their attachment to the scapulae and the resultant AND INDEPENDENT additional 'conical' range of motion of IMO, the most important golf joint, the humerus/glenoid from which the lead arm rotates, and again IMO, provides a significant percentage of the power needed to accelerate the golf club.

But what has this got to do with the trail shoulder, especially during the back swing ?? Sorry to take so long to get to the point of this thread, BUT THE INDEPENDENT CONICAL RANGES OF MOTION of both shoulder complexes become very instrumental in determining the degree of dynamic stability possible. mostly because of the possible wide variation in the positions of the shoulder complexes to the torso/rib cage (the core around which the lead and trail scapulae rotate, independently).

So what happens in the back swing, with the golfers goal to rotate the lead shoulder say 90 degrees, is that the trail shoulder, its clavicle and scapula have the natural tendency to NOT rotate relative to the rib cage, resulting in an INCOMPLETE upper body back swing, reduced range of motion, but worst of all kinematic sequencing/timing uncertainties and my favorite, dynamic balance and stability reduction due to the trail shoulder AND upper body too far in front , not on the shoulder plane etc. etc.

The good news is that this seemingly complicated area is as easy to fix as BBKIB, the "IT" in this case being a 'complete' rear shoulder back swing turn, and yes, WITHOUT STRAINING, try to 'keep it back (a little longer).

Sincerely,
Art

Ok, here is an update: beautiful 58 degree day here today so went out and hit some using Brian's '3 step drill' which gets the arms moving ahead of the body from the top. The goal being to see how far down you can get the club in the ds before the pivot catches up. I hit the ball a lot better.

Has anyone else used this drill?

Status
Not open for further replies.