I travelled half-way around the world to see the Italion Stallion....was it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course it was (but you already knew that)!

He is as good as advertised, just a flat out great live teacher. He has a great eye, is a great communicator, and has an enormous "database" of images, drills, feels, etc to make sure the student understands what he is trying to convey. He doesn't teach a method, he teaches each student what THEY NEED to achieve the 3 imperatives.

I had the pleasure of spending a couple of hours with Brian a week ago in Tampa. In his whirlwind tour, he was able to squeeze my Dad and me into his busy schedule.

My Dad attended Brian's Orlando school last year and also went down to the Manziposium at Port St. Lucie this year, but this was my first live experience with Brian. Although I have followed this site for a couple of years and have watched all of Brian's video, I really didn't know exactly what he would work on with me.

Since we only had an hour each, Brian got right down to business. After watching me hit two half wedges warming up, he already pinpointed what he wanted to work on. My swing was 8 degrees inside out, so he started to de-hook me, essentially on a variation of Never Hook Again. First he tweaked my set-up, getting me out of my hooker's posture. Then, he got my backswing more up and less around, so I was in a position to swing left. This probably took about 15 minutes. Then he worked on getting me to swing left, following the old "Yellow Brick Road". At first I could barely do any of the drills he was showing me, but as Brian broke out various images and feels, I started to get it.

Although I have followed this site and others for a couple of years now and I am fairly familiar with The Golfing Machine, Brian didn't use any terminology on me. Instead, he just worked tirelessly to get me to trace a straight plane line and feel lag pressure. But instead of doing it with jargon, he did it with images.

My hour went by incredibly fast and I was quite surprised with how many things we were able to work on in just and hour. Then, I continued to hit balls and watch my Dad's lesson out of the corner of my eye. There were some similarities, some differences. Both of us needed to swing left, but we had different ways of achieving that since our swings are different.

I started to get the feeling of what I need to do by the end of the 2 hours. Then, as Brian was leaving a thunderstorm broke out so we couldn't hit many more balls, although I did start noticing very solid contact on the 20 or so balls I was able to hit after the lesson. I was able to practice a couple of more times before flying back home, and noted more progress.

So, I know hg and others will want to know, how can I quantify my progress? I can't yet, but I am sure in 3 months or 6 months I will be swinging much better, playing much better, and enjoying golf more. If I lived anywhere near Brian, I would go back as often as possible. If I had to drive 12 hours to see him, I would probably make the trip 2 or 3 times a year. For those worried about cost, all I can say is save your pennies, you will not be disappointed.

Yes birdieman, I was a hooker...the shot that always got me in trouble was the pull-hook, left of Hillary Clinton. With the new swing, no more hook (if I do it right)...dead straight or maybe a sliiiiight fade.

Toughest thing to get used to so far is the set-up...I still feel a bit contorted and almost reverse pivotish, but it's not (I have seen it on video and it is ORTHODOX!)

As Brian explained in another thread recently, with slicers he fixes the face first, with hookers he fixes the path...so far face seems to be taking care of itself as long as my arms don't jump in the swing too early.

Status
Not open for further replies.