I would like to say thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to say thank you to Brian and others on this site who have helped educate me over the past few months.
I am the "swing coach" for the local high school where I live. On Monday, our team placed second at the district tournament and qualified for the state tournament. A huge accomplishment due to the fact that they didn't come close to qualifying last year and lost their No. 1 golfer (a state medalist the year before).
This is my second year helping the team. Last year, I taught them mostly "pop" instruction (I didn't know any better, now I do). They got a little better, but not a lot.
This year, I used information from this site and Brian's videos. These guys improved so much so fast it was ridiculous. A perfect example: Our now No. 5 golfer.
He's a new kid, just transferred in this year. He was a pull-slicer with no hip turn, a steep shoulder turn with very high hands, and an open clubface. Last year, I would have strengthened his grip and had him try to swing more right. What happened this year? I actually weakened his left hand a little to get it to neutral and showed him the twistaway. After a while he started hitting straight pulls. Then, to help him get to the inside of the ball, I showed him how to turn his hips sharper and shoulders flatter on the backswing, and how to add tilt on the downswing. He ended up with a little push draw.
The result? A guy who was around 100 at the end of last year is now averaging around 85. Fifteen shots better in two months. Not too shabby.

Anyway, I just wanted to share our good fortune and thank the people that helped get us there. Thanks again.

Congrats

Congratulations. It looks like you know a bit yourself based on the results of your team. Good job.

I too have learned much here and if you stay with Brian you will continue to get better.

Good luck and great job.

That's fantastic, and if it doesn't jeopardize your position in anyway, make sure to recommend to eveyone there associated with the program (i.e. coaches, players, etc.) that they buy Brian's video, if you haven't already. It's a win-win, a way to repay Brian and a way to educate your program to the best instruction available. ;)

I'd love to be a golf coach. I've heard the current coach saying the most asinine crap if ever heard to these kids who have all their trust in him. Plus he has the ball flight laws wrong which puts him even further behind the 8 ball. It's truly sad.

He's a new kid, just transferred in this year. He was a pull-slicer with no hip turn, a steep shoulder turn with very high hands, and an open clubface. Last year, I would have strengthened his grip and had him try to swing more right. What happened this year? I actually weakened his left hand a little to get it to neutral and showed him the twistaway. After a while he started hitting straight pulls. Then, to help him get to the inside of the ball, I showed him how to turn his hips sharper and shoulders flatter on the backswing, and how to add tilt on the downswing. He ended up with a little push draw.
The result? A guy who was around 100 at the end of last year is now averaging around 85. Fifteen shots better in two months. Not too shabby.

Textbook NSA. Nice job! (really)

Yeah, it's been a lot of work (I've "blown up" my own pattern a bunch to try and find things to help them), but it's been a bunch of fun too.
Now if I could just get my own swing back on track I'd be in good shape. :eek:

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
As a HS golf coach myself. I have also learned a ton both in person and on video from Brian. Just like the OP, most of the time I fix the grip, show 'em a little twistaway and all of a sudden they can keep it in play. I exclusively use info I have gotten from Brian and I think it helps kids more than me....anyway..

The results......3 straight region championships and this year......We are the Georgia Class A State Champions......Thanks to everyone here. I have learned a lot from everyone.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Message in a Bottle...

If I could write down 10 little items on a blank business card, and put them in a Coke bottle, in a time machine, back to the City Park Driving Range Coke machine, where I'd get a coke before my Friday night golf season practice sessions that I religiously did, missing out on parties, etc...

...I might not kick Tiger's butt, but I could handle DiMarco...:D

Anyhoo, this forum is WAY BETTER than that business card could ever be. Video, and wealth of information NOT JUST ON WHAT TO DO—which helps a bunch—but, what not to do.

If my videos, written words, and videos, save some high school golfers from thinking some of the goofy things I was trying in 1979, and some of the really goofy things they could be listening to now, then I am very happy.

Good job guys....

....where's my signed team photos? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.