Ideas on "not" lagging the club on short shots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

Have spoken with a few guys about this and my problem is this. On short shots if I cock my wrists at all I seem to bend my right wrist back then as I start back to the ball "float load" the right wrist even more leaving me no time to line up. Sometimes even with no wrist cock going back I then "float load" some bend into my right wrist.

I would love to use at least some of the 56' of loft on my wedge this year :p

Anyone any ideas on how to get this out my system. Hopefully before I go nuts as it's killing my scores ;)

I now know why, and it's driving my cp down I just don't know how to stop it!!!!!!

Two wrinkles have proved helpful to me. The first was a better understanding of the importance of "enough" speed with shorter shots. We now know that sending your hands ahead is not going to help speed the club head up (the ol' endless belt effect) so there has to be a certain committment of speed to the short shot at hand, in order to line the shaft up by impact. Think Seve, who always seemed to accelerate the clubhead hard with short shots. The second is a variation of a TGM idea, namely impact fix. However, this rendition is based on a better understanding of how much shaft lean is actually necessary. I revelation to me was how "little" lean was actually needed given that the sweetspot on a sw is way behind the hosel. In fact, I have copied a host of tour players whose club shafts appear to be leaning away from the target! I realize that in most cases they are still setting up with forward lean.

Take an alignment stick of some sort and place it in line with the target. Take another alignment stick and approximate the slightly left aiming swing direction. Set up with the shaft perpendicular to the swing direction stick. Relative to the target line it will appear to be backward leaning, relative to the swing direction line it is slightly forward leaning. The next step then is to get the clubhead to the ball ASAP. The only way that I have found that will allow me to line the shaft up in good time is by bending the left wrist, or by flattening the right wrist ASAP. I am able to make very good use of the bounce on the club, to the point of being able to hit shots off the fringe (not brave enough to do it on the greens!) and barely disturbing the turf.

Dragging the handle on short shots is pretty much a steering motion. My pitch shots have a lot more zip to them, and digging the leading edge in is no longer an issue, as it was from time to time. I was taught as a youngster to make the smallest motion as possible around the greens. There is still some wisdom in that, but I now feel that using the bounce of the more lofted clubs with more speed is a better insurance policy. Back-foot-super-leaners are one-trick ponies. It is very difficult to power down around the greens in my opinion and tends to lead to deceleration and chilli-dipping. Hope that helps.

On chips and pitches I'm now using pretty loose wrists and I try to feel as if my body is falling "back and up" a bit as the club enters impact to help with the line up. The falling back and up move is subtle and I wouldn't consider it a jump. It's more like my body is counteracting the clubhead pull into impact and creating a normal force to the path. Loose wrists are key.

The wrecking ball video that's posted in the release thread sort of triggered this feel for me. My body is acting as the tip of the crane with the wrecking ball being the clubhead. A slight "up" move in the tip of the crane as the ball moves thru it's lowpoint. The result is usually a clean strike that utilizes the bounce and produces no divot.

hp12c

New
Hi everyone,

Have spoken with a few guys about this and my problem is this. On short shots if I cock my wrists at all I seem to bend my right wrist back then as I start back to the ball "float load" the right wrist even more leaving me no time to line up. Sometimes even with no wrist cock going back I then "float load" some bend into my right wrist.

I would love to use at least some of the 56' of loft on my wedge this year :p

Anyone any ideas on how to get this out my system. Hopefully before I go nuts as it's killing my scores ;)

I now know why, and it's driving my cp down I just don't know how to stop it!!!!!!

Hey welshdentist have u ever tried this drill, I call it the leap frog drill I know I didnt invent this but I saw it on that movie. U ever play leap frog as a kid? take your 56' place 2 balls apart the width of the wedge, like this o-o, from toe to heel its a like 2 1/2 to 3 inches. Now take your 56' and leap the 1ts ball over the 2nd ball without hitting the 2nd ball. Once u got the motion down increase the distance a little more this helped me a ton and really helped me n using more of the bounce on my wedges.

...but I now feel that using the bounce of the more lofted clubs with more speed is a better insurance policy. Back-foot-super-leaners are one-trick ponies. It is very difficult to power down around the greens in my opinion and tends to lead to deceleration and chilli-dipping. Hope that helps.

Good stuff there...

Snake Shaker

Great stuff, saw a short clip of B.C. posted somewhere here but have been searching for some elaboration on his ideas about chipping. I have a feeling Mike and Brian would have some input on how the full swing release and this short game release are indeed more related than even B.C. or Mr. Sieckmann know. Keep the Vids coming, this knowledge is setting me free!

It's nice to know my trademark right hand off the club chicken wing finish for some of my feathery short shots isn't necessarily a bad thing to do. Not to mention I hit my best short shots when I do give it my little chicken wing move with the top of my left hand facing the sky.

Status
Not open for further replies.