If you top the ball w 3 wood but the ball goes straight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erik_K

New
Assuming you didn't flip at it, I'd like to know how moving the ball up is going to help me. Also, is the ball off the deck or on the tee?

Burner

New
would you move the ball back or forward?

Doesn't matter where the ball is, it just depends on whether you are trying to help the ball get up in the air or not when you hit it. If you are then you will always run the risk of topping it.

Suggest new emoticon usage for the forum - maybe they could be added as tags to threads :cool:

Emoticon 1 - 'I am shooting the breeze about golf and the golf swing, happy to take casual tips, talk about hunches and throw opinions about' :cool:

Tag 2 - 'Science and serious argument' :mad:

Tag 3 - 'Video sucks, you can't tell NUTHIN' :confused:

So this thread could have said: "Look, I know :confused: but this isn't a thread for :mad: - I just want to get some opinions on the 3 wood? :cool:

What does the straight part have to do with it, thin or topped shots normally go straight if not mistaken, figuring gear effect. I'd guess finding low point with that club and then placing ball based on that. Pay attention to feet width though, I remember in MJ's GRF's video, he said that it's important because it'll change the low point of the swing.. amateur opinion only... good luck!

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I think the ending result of the ball is almost irrelevant in this situation lol...i find people who top 3 woods or long irons are doing 1 of 2 things:

1) Too open face trying to time a flip thus making the ball position too far forward
2) Ball position too forward with a path too rightward, you literally top it because it's not in the right position in regards to your low point

I can hit driver Off the deck no problem. I started to top the three wood once a while. I took the 3 wood out of the play and just use the driver off the deck

Normally if I top the ball with a fairway wood it's because I pulled up out of the shot. Stay down and make sure you extend thru the shot. The key is extension. Even take a divot to make sure you're extending and not pulling up. No alligator arms.

Last edited:

art

New
would you move the ball back or forward?

Dear jenhaoyen,

The work on 'dynamic balance and stability' that resulted in the suggestion 'Bumpy Back, Keep it Back' (BBKIB) clearly identified centripetal forces that EXCEED the bodies ability to 'pull back' with enough force to prevent involuntary 'reflex' actions greatly affecting the vertical stability of the club head when approaching impact.

I simply suggest you try BBKIB before other compensations and IMO you will find that you are capable of controlling the vertical position at impact WITH MINIMUM involuntary reflex adjustments, and WITH INCREASED DYNAMIC STABILITY, be able to say 'good bye' to topping your 3 wood.

Sincerely,
art

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I can hit driver Off the deck no problem. I started to top the three wood once a while. I took the 3 wood out of the play and just use the driver off the deck

If you can hit a driver off the deck and not your 3 wood I might consider it a club fitting issue. There can't be a logically reason to top a 3 wood and not a driver, can there?

If you can hit a driver off the deck and not your 3 wood I might consider it a club fitting issue. There can't be a logically reason to top a 3 wood and not a driver, can there?

With a driver I'm never tempted to hit too down on it...with a 3 wood, that little bit of loft be enough to change the golfers intention. I'm with ya though, if you can hit the driver off the deck, you'd think the 3 wood wouldn't be a problem...

With a driver I'm never tempted to hit too down on it...with a 3 wood, that little bit of loft be enough to change the golfers intention. I'm with ya though, if you can hit the driver off the deck, you'd think the 3 wood wouldn't be a problem...
Plus driver is so much bigger amirite?

Anyways, my grip is a little bit stronger now and I find that having forward hands is easier for me to hit the 3 wood than mid body setup. I tend to go up a little bit quicker and coming down very shallow, and that's probably why I'm topping the ball. Having my hands forward makes the clubface look open which helps me to go more around rather than too much up. Golf is so freaking weird. I'm playing very well at the moment. thanks to BMAN.

Status
Not open for further replies.