If You Want to Slice...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would agree that this type of instruction or tip is the reason so many golfers have swing problems.

Now for the article, there are several points which are correct or can be correct under some circumstances.

1. Left Thumb position placement is aligned with the toe of the club (note most clubs toe's are not perpendicular to the club face but actually angled toward the hosel) would place the thumb on the back side of the shaft. This is considered a good position if your netural grip in fact supports this placement.

2. The inset picture, look look look, the club face is angled, not facing square or flat (parallel to the target line). Words are correct and picture are correct (at least if the placement of the hands are correct) but the description used can easily be misunderstood and producing results that dont match each other.

3. The inset shows a position of the club at the top, but if the golfer was to have a flatter or more upright swing, the actual clubface leading edge will be different. For a flatter swing, the clubface will appear more closed and for an upright swing it will appear more open.

My objections to this information are:
a. It uses words that are not precise enough to allow a golfer to be successful on their own
b. It describes positions, not alignments, which makes this instruction questionable and doesn't provide a means that the golfer can apply it to HIS/HER Golf Swing
c. It fails to take into account the individual golfer when placing the hands on the golf club.
d. It assumse all golfers have the same Grip and Grip Type.

Golfer's can't break 95, heck this could cause 95 golfers not to break 100.

Granted somewhat of a rant upon my part but this information wouldn't be so abundant if we could educate golfers on the basics, starting off with it is His/Her Golf Swing, you need to know what that is, not trying to copy or use positional golf. Alignment Golf, build a solid swing. Second part of the rant for another day, stop making the swing so damn complex. Know what you do, how to do it and why you do it. Don't change something till you know it doesn't work, or that it would be better and above all that it will work with your swing.

Sorry for the rant and somewhat off topic ragman..But I do think that evaluation of the tip does show some value if and only if you know what you are looking at (most golfers I don't think go that deep).

Status
Not open for further replies.