Im liking Matt Kuchars swing

Status
Not open for further replies.
- Maybe ultra-strong grips aren't such a bad thing after all.

- Incredibly reliable technique. When mishits happen, they don't go off the planet.

- There is a tradeoff, though. It's easily possible for a person with his size and flexibility to hit the ball a lot farther than Kuchar actually does.

- Technique, size, athleticism. All three factors are hugely important. I'm very dubious of arguments that say that one of those factors is important but another one isn't.

Also, it would be interesting to see an analysis of why Kuchar is so much more accurate with 70- to 100-yard wedges than most other Tour players. I saw him hit a few and they were low bullets with about a yard or two of draw spin. Divot was minimal.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Ultra strong grip???

With regards to the wedges, we have to remember that it isn't always a superior technique, although he may have some very good things going on. There's a lot of intangibles in the short game and wedges.

A big strong young athletic guy who gets out carried by Jeff Maggert off the tee is bad for our brand, but then again, a big strong young athletic guy who makes $3.9 million is good for our brand.

To paraphrase Brian... every method can work for somebody.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Who said "ultra strong" grips aren't ok? The only time I've mentioned it lately is when I have said that most free spinning hip teachers like strong grips. It works better for these method teachers because it makes it almost sure that the hips will be quite open at impact, which will put the golfer into a location that they can't really do what they are trying to do (not slow their pelvis down through impact).

This grip of Kuchar is 30° strong, which is not as strong as Lee Trevino:

leevsmatt.jpg

Also, from this poster from days gone by, lots of these golfers have MATCHING or near MATCHING grips:

flatleftwristcollage.jpg

How many teachers are actually out there promoting aggressive strengthening of the grip in a high-profile way?

hp12c

New
Im gonna revisit the soft draw pattern. I was striking the ball better with that pattern while also adding a little twistaway and then I hurt my right index finger. That made my ball striking go awry, too much pain soIi had to compensate. On the upside it made my short irons better.

Status
Not open for further replies.