impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that the ideal golf swing should be where the club head comes from the inside with a slightly open clubface and when the ball leaves the club should be about square with the clubface on the line, and then right after the club goes back to the inside. I do understand that but I was wondering if anyone knows where any scientific data on that stuff can be read/found?

I understand that the ideal golf swing should be where the club head comes from the inside with a slightly open clubface and when the ball leaves the club should be about square with the clubface on the line, and then right after the club goes back to the inside. I do understand that but I was wondering if anyone knows where any scientific data on that stuff can be read/found?

Try entering, "Golf Swing Dynamics" into Google...loads of stuff...:)

Paul Hart (G.S.E.D) gave this answer on the croker forum.

About 1.38 degrees open. Do the simple maths. Five feet short to five feet past the clubface closes about 180 degrees or 18 degrees per foot. If contact is 3/4 of an inch, the clubface closes 1.38 and the ball bounces off JUST WHERE YOU THOUGHT IT WOULD, NOT LEFT. Mystery solved. Every other part of the swing would slowly make sense as the old programmes adjusted into line. Peoples natural instincts would start to cut in. Just like a child. Swing rotationally ( clubface, arc and body ) hit the ball slightly on the inside. What a fun game!

I really recommend you start as Homer says, a little open with your s/w and more with the the driver for swingers and the opposite for hitters.

More so as the clubs get longer for swingers. Could be more shut with longer clubs for hitters. Also, ball more off toe for non compensated center strikes.

Paul Hart (G.S.E.D) gave this answer on the croker forum.

About 1.38 degrees open. Do the simple maths. Five feet short to five feet past the clubface closes about 180 degrees or 18 degrees per foot. If contact is 3/4 of an inch, the clubface closes 1.38 and the ball bounces off JUST WHERE YOU THOUGHT IT WOULD, NOT LEFT. Mystery solved. Every other part of the swing would slowly make sense as the old programmes adjusted into line. Peoples natural instincts would start to cut in. Just like a child. Swing rotationally ( clubface, arc and body ) hit the ball slightly on the inside. What a fun game!

I really recommend you start as Homer says, a little open with your s/w and more with the the driver for swingers and the opposite for hitters.

More so as the clubs get longer for swingers. Could be more shut with longer clubs for hitters. Also, ball more off toe for non compensated center strikes.

Spike - these are the correct impact fix alignments aren't they ? SO if you then move hands back to mid body position for adjusted address then the clubface tends to square up ( or even go closed) assuming that you keep the left wrist vertical- i think Bruian mentioned this in one of his old video answers?

golfbulldog,

That could very well be, concerning impact fix. I haven't seen Brian's piece on it so I can't say.

I may have gotten it wrong but I was thinking that shootin4par was asking for some kinda science for what is happening with the club and the inside rear quadrant of the ball. Saw Paul Hart's explanation and it seemed to fit.

I swing the club from hands mid body and have found the slight open face of the sand wedge to the more open face of the driver helps program my nut for the the horizontal release without fear of hooking.

Have to say that I opened the face with a slight hand rotation rather than turning the club in my hands when first learning HH. I have my left wrist aligned to the top of the shaft and paralell to the leading edge of the clubface, so it is an ever so slight rotation.

Now I can do it from square as I've learned to load the wrists better in the backswing.

Status
Not open for further replies.