Importance of last 3 fingers of left hand in the grip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dariusz J.

Hello Brian & all,

Another question of the grip. I've heard recently that e.g. Snead said that one of the very crucial things in a correct grip is the firm grasp of three last fingers of the leading hand. Is it true ?
And if yes...does that mean that we should grip the club hard by those 3 fingers ? It's sort of difficult for me to grip hard by those 3 fingers only or even by left hand pinky only...seems either my whole grip of both hands is firm or light. It's funny for me that the same man (Snead) who advocated holding the club as a living bird recommended also the above advice.

Any expert opinion appreciated.

Cheers

The last three fingers apply pressusre up on the grip as the heel pad applies
pressure down. Dont be afraid to hold on to the grip but try to have you wrist relaxed. As you get toe the top of the swing make sure you still have the pressure in the last three fingers of teh left hand. Most people get to the top of the swing and most of the pressure falls onto the left thumb instead of the last three fingers. This causes people to throw from the top to try of get the pressure back to the last three fingers and results in casting.
Hit it with your hands not the clubhead.... more specifically the pressure points in your hands and the last three fingers of the top hand are #1 pressure point. If you wear a glove and have wear marks/hole on the mid part of your heel pad the club is movin around on you. If you have a mark or hole on your top thumb most likely the pressure is falling too much on the thumb at the top of the swing.

Gloves are like divots..... theres alot to be learnt from them.

tank

New
I think you have your pressure points confused.
The #1 pressure point is where the lifeline ends (or starts) between the thumb-pad and the healpad of the bottom hand, it rests against the back of the grip. #2 PP is the last 2 - 3 fingers of the top hand.
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Tank... you are correct #1 is the heel of the right hand where it touches either the left hand thumb or the clubshaft (as required by grip type).. from the book.

Candon... keep the pressure maintained with the last three fingers.. most people i see overcock the left wrist, allow the bending of the right arm to cock the left wrist. For the longest time i was taught to take the club back to a toe up 1/2 way back position and cock up. But now when i allow the left wrist to cock because of the right arm it feels as though i am barely cocking my left wrist.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Never.

I just don't like to have different pressures within my grip.

About the ONLY finger that doesn't FEEL the same id the right forefinger, which is a bit softer. But not even that is "always."

Tank... you are correct #1 is the heel of the right hand where it touches either the left hand thumb or the clubshaft (as required by grip type).. from the book.

Candon... keep the pressure maintained with the last three fingers.. most people i see overcock the left wrist, allow the bending of the right arm to cock the left wrist. For the longest time i was taught to take the club back to a toe up 1/2 way back position and cock up. But now when i allow the left wrist to cock because of the right arm it feels as though i am barely cocking my left wrist.

Status
Not open for further replies.