In trying for neutral, have I been gripping it weaker for like 4 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the most part, I have tried to make neutral, vertical grip work.

Neutral as a logical term- both wrists vertical.

I think in trying for it, I have been gripping it weaker for some time though.

I figured out the other night that when you put your hand flat against a wall, the thumb pad seems to get in the way, no?

Do it on a corner that way. Then (next step) slide the hand back a bit so the thumbpad is not touching the wall. Leaving that sucker in there seems to turn the hand away from the wall some. Away from vertical.

Works the same if you put your hands together, "praying position". You gotta pull the heel pads apart just a bit, yes?

Geez man..

I kept going back to that damn grip to try to make it work. Cause it made sense to my brain as seeming truth, I had to try it. But it looks like I was wrong all along.

At this point I no longer care. I will put the grip between my legs if I have to.

Thumbs up baby.

I read this again. I feel thoroughly dumb.

I understood it. I had the opposite problem. When I first heard "strong single action" and saw a video about it, I went way strong. Trying to get the thumb "aft side" of the grip I turned my hand way strong (short of Zinger strong though). I'm back now to "Manzella Neutral" which was similar to what I used to do. Feels really weak now.

Last edited:
Also, I was helped a lot by a thread where Brian talked about needing a slightly weaker grip with short irons and a slightly stronger grip as the clubs get longer. I would find the thread but it's late and I'm tired. I know this has nothing to do with your post but I thought it was interesting.

Thanks maestro. I hope no one else has been fooled by this seeming illusion. Crazy game, crazy brain!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.