In your mind's eye, what are you supposed to feel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The biggest problem I face is trying to interpret what I watch on video to positions in my actual swing from my mind's eye point of view.

I understand textbook positions. I have read everything on this site. I understand backswing/downswing pivot. I understand the squat and tilt. I understand hand action. I understand sweetspot plane, shaft plane, target line, and swing path. I understand pivoting to the finishing. I understnad shaft angle at address and shaft angle at impact. I understand shaft lean, etc.

Basically, if someone were to ask for an opinion on their swing, I would know what to say.

However, the biggest problem I have is I can't picture precisely what I am supposed to be doing in my mind's eye.

I wish there was a way a swing could be captured where you're actually viewing a swing from that person's point of view...literally seeing his swing from his own eyes.

Does anyone understand what I'm trying to say?

My misses are pushes, push slices, pulls, fat shots.

Anything will be appreciated.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I think the answer is that it is different for everyone. My feel for my golf swing may be totally different from someone else, and we may swing in a very similar fashion. It's all a matter of perspective when it comes to feel. This is why an instructor is valuable, because they can (hopefully, if they're worth a damn) see what it is you need to do, and HOW to get you to do it.

As an example, for the sake of clarity, I remember Brian saying that for a couple of years, he played some of his best golf thinking not much more than "Lift, Drop, Rotate." While this kind of "feel" was perfect for him, it would be poison for a guy like me, as well as a lot of other people.

Edit* Didn't see the Manzella Academy only! My bad. Time for bed for me too (like birdieman).

Last edited:
The single biggest factor in helping me in this area is...

V-I-D-E-O

I've got a really nice video camera and professional tripod. But, the tripod is heavy and all of it is a hassle to carry around and set up.

So, I got a Canon Power Shot digital camera. They have a very good video mode on them, fit in my shirt pocket and I don't have to deal with tape as it uses an SD card.

I bought an inexpensive tripod and can set it all up within a minute.

Since my last lesson with Brian told me I was not doing anything near what I thought I was, I decided I would not miss a week at the range with taking some video.

It is paying off big time!!!! I am finally understanding...this is what I thought I was doing but that is actually what I am doing.

Sorry....ignore this....missed the Manzella Academy Only tag! My fault

Last edited:
Since my last lesson with Brian told me I was not doing anything near what I thought I was, I decided I would not miss a week at the range with taking some video.

It is paying off big time!!!! I am finally understanding...this is what I thought I was doing but that is actually what I am doing.

I agree with this 100%. Video is a great feedback tool, and quality feedback is so important in learning. I take my video cam to the range everytime I go there to practice.

However, lots of knowledge is needed to use video as a quality feedback device.. people with little knowledge about the golf swing using video analysis can do more damage than good.

To the original poster..

Use a mirror. Stop at different stages of the swing, look at the mirror to check alignments. Fix alignments. Then you can instantly see what it looks like from your point of view. I do this all the time at home. Instant feedback.

Here's why I strike it better than Hogan:

I focus on the ball with my third eye, sense the feeling of the perfect shot through my pineal gland, open my sixth chakra, balance my endolymphatic fluid in my inner ear, allow my amygdala to expand, and just rip the ball.

Man this game is sooo easy

I agree with this 100%. Video is a great feedback tool, and quality feedback is so important in learning. I take my video cam to the range everytime I go there to practice.

However, lots of knowledge is needed to use video as a quality feedback device.. people with little knowledge about the golf swing using video analysis can do more damage than good.

To the original poster..

Use a mirror. Stop at different stages of the swing, look at the mirror to check alignments. Fix alignments. Then you can instantly see what it looks like from your point of view. I do this all the time at home. Instant feedback.

There are mirrors at our range for every stall. It's not really a mirror, but a window, and at certain times during the day, you can see your reflection.

Two I have used video. It helps.

Three, I fixed my problem...

TRACING A STRAIGHT PLANE LINE WITH PROPER PIVOTING.

s-m you're nuts........lol.......

You forgot about your telepathic powers BTW.....lucky you have it listed in your signiture...

:rolleyes::D

Status
Not open for further replies.