Incorprating Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple weeks ago I read Brian's "Never Slice Again" article and I decided to incorporate it into my swing. I managed one trip to the range and several mirror sessions in the back yard before taking it to the course for a round. A video I took of my own swing showed that I had a tendency to let the left wrist break before impact (see http://www.davidclary.com/ugly_swing.htm ). The results that week were pretty good--my drives and fairway woods resulted in straight shots or slight fades instead of the big slice, and my short-mid irons were much improved. I was pretty excited by the results so I printed out every one of Brian's instructional articles, and poured over them. The big thing I worked on was maintaining the spine angle and tilt away from the target (I also fight an upper body lunge move). So this Sunday I went out--and proceeded to have the WORST ball striking round I've had in a long time. I was processing so many swing thoughts at address that I was having some trouble starting the club back. So the question: Any ideas on how I can systematically make several changes without achieving melt down on the tee??

David

I can only offer some advice, do your thinking and testing at the range, do your playing at the course. Have at most 1 swing thought on the course.

Best wishes

Pick one specific thing to work on then when that's automatic move to the next area of concern. I personally never work on my swing on the course, I play with what I brung that day. If I am right/left or left/right I just play with it for that round and hope the short game is sharp. After the round if there's time I go to the range.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
David it takes a really long to implement a lot of big changes. Take it one change at a time. Just know that it will take time to change everything but it will be for the better

EdZ

New
Take some time to work on your grip, ball position, and setup. Your overall motion is on the right track, but with the ball position/grip combo that you have now, you'll fight your swing until you make some changes in setup.

as you begin the process of making changes, build a routine and follow it every time, it will help quite a bit... start with a 'grip routine' so you can get your hands on the club the same way every time, with the same relationship of hands to clubface.

Brian's grip article is a good place to start re: a more neutral grip

rwh

New
quote:Originally posted by dclaryjr

A couple weeks ago I read Brian's "Never Slice Again" article and I decided to incorporate it into my swing. I managed one trip to the range and several mirror sessions in the back yard before taking it to the course for a round. A video I took of my own swing showed that I had a tendency to let the left wrist break before impact (see http://www.davidclary.com/ugly_swing.htm ). The results that week were pretty good--my drives and fairway woods resulted in straight shots or slight fades instead of the big slice, and my short-mid irons were much improved. I was pretty excited by the results so I printed out every one of Brian's instructional articles, and poured over them. The big thing I worked on was maintaining the spine angle and tilt away from the target (I also fight an upper body lunge move). So this Sunday I went out--and proceeded to have the WORST ball striking round I've had in a long time. I was processing so many swing thoughts at address that I was having some trouble starting the club back. So the question: Any ideas on how I can systematically make several changes without achieving melt down on the tee??

David,

Squishband gives excellent counsel. In my opinion, you should not play golfswing on the course. I recommend you read Bob Rotella's Golf is Not a Game of Perfectand implement his suggestions on how to practice & make swing changes vs. how to play. Good luck on your progress.

After reading the replies and my original post, I realized I didn't compose that very well. I know I'm not supposed to be juggling swing thoughts on the course--my copy of GINAGOP is dog-eared and worn! :)
Let me restate it. The articles I printed out concerned grip, setup, never slicing, maintaing lag, and pivots (part 1 and 2). I'm guessing from my results this weekend that trying to incorporate it all put me in an overload situation. The articles seem to build on each other in the order Brian published them--would y'all (I'm from N.O. as well) agree to that? Should I feel like I've really got one down before moving on to the next?

BTW, the first thing I changed was my grip. It usually wasn't as strong as pictured in that swing sequence I posted, but it's always been at least a 3-knuckler. That was an attempt (albeit futile) to get the clubface square at impact. My misses turn right but they almost always start on the target line or to the right. Once in a while I'll hit a draw and I end up staring at it in amazement. :)

Thanks--appreciate everyone's input!

Status
Not open for further replies.