Independent arm action in Manzella patterns

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few questions:

If the NHA downswing is all pivot and drop, does that mean it technically "maxes out" at 80-85% power (no right arm addition)?

In the SD backswing, is the arm lift provided purely by the motion of the hands/arms created by the body in the takeaway? Or is there an independent movement to get the lift (consciously using the arms to lift the arms)?

In a SD backswing + NHA downswing type pattern, would you ever use your arms to move your arms? Or is it more like a "hold on while you pivot with a drop on the downswing?"

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
A few questions:

If the NHA downswing is all pivot and drop, does that mean it technically "maxes out" at 80-85% power (no right arm addition)?

In the SD backswing, is the arm lift provided purely by the motion of the hands/arms created by the body in the takeaway? Or is there an independent movement to get the lift (consciously using the arms to lift the arms)?

In a SD backswing + NHA downswing type pattern, would you ever use your arms to move your arms? Or is it more like a "hold on while you pivot with a drop on the downswing?"

#1 You have to remember, these patterns are designed largely to customize a pattern to someone who might have a little or alot of something. Hookers who need NHA do not have much "dumping" of force, but lots of right arm thus the shake the sugar is good for them. It does not max out at 85%.
#2 The arms get a good jump start by the inner rotation and LCT but then there is always some independent lifting
#3 The drop IS moving your arms with your arms (thats a great pattern BTW)

If the arms don't lift the arms in backswing, what does? Pivot can carry arms back, but not up.

Well, since this got bumped back up I guess I'll try to explain my question a little better. I didn't do a very good job the first time (although Kevin's answer did help).

While I know that you do need some independent arm lift, my question was mostly about whether or not the golfer feels that specific motion in the SD pattern. For me personally, it feels like all I'm doing is making my hands go in all the way to the top. But, because of the position of the elbows, they are forced to go "up" as they go "in" after about halfway back. Even though I don't feel like I make my arms lift, it still happens. It probably feels different for each person.

Status
Not open for further replies.