Indoor putting question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZAP

New
I have a 4X14 putting mat in my game room and I have been spending a lot of time on my putting this winter. I was messing around the other day putting with my eyes closed after lining up. It seems to help me to stay more still during the stroke
and I am thinking this might be a decent way to train myself.

Thoughts?

Disclaimer: the wind chill here is supposed to be -30 tonight so give me some leeway if this sounds insane. I am really missing golf right now.

Don't stay too still. Brad Faxon says one of the top things he practiced on the putting green was NOT STAYING STILL, another was to practice not caring.

I'm just the messenger.

:)

Interesting that you are feeling more still with eyes closed. Most of the balance and spacial awareness work I've seen done, the subject usually gets unstable with eyes closed... you can't hide talent! :)

Are you making the putts sans vision?

ZAP

New
Interesting that you are feeling more still with eyes closed. Most of the balance and spacial awareness work I've seen done, the subject usually gets unstable with eyes closed... you can't hide talent! :)

Are you making the putts sans vision?

I havent done any data but I seem to make just as many or more with my eyes closed.

If you're making more eyes closed, likely your eyes (and body) are following to see the result, I really like the "not caring" statement as if you don't care so much, you're less likely to follow too soon :D

ZAP

New
If you're making more eyes closed, likely your eyes (and body) are following to see the result, I really like the "not caring" statement as if you don't care so much, you're less likely to follow too soon :D

Hadn't really thought about that possibility. Thanks. Supposed to be -14 here tomorrow and if we don't have school I'll be spending a good bit of time on my putting once I finish the "honey-do" list.

Not sure what you're putting off/on but if you can put a little mark on the floor/green under the ball and let yourself see that before following to look it might help. Really good putters have still eyes through the ball (not looking with eyes or head/body) too soon :cool:

ZAP

New
Not sure what you're putting off/on but if you can put a little mark on the floor/green under the ball and let yourself see that before following to look it might help. Really good putters have still eyes through the ball (not looking with eyes or head/body) too soon :cool:

After some more testing I actually do make a higher percentage with my eyes closed.(I can't tell you how embarrassing this is) I think you hit the nail on the head with the still
eyes deal. Going to work on the mark on the surface thing for a couple of weeks and re-test. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.